Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re grouting paving slabs

Options
  • 12-06-2014 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I have nearly 20m.sq+ of paving slabs to re grout. Can anyone recommend a product or method. I have seen two different ways a wet mix or a dry mix, but cant decide. Any information would be a help

thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

this stuff is good, you just brush it in and it hardens in a day or so

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Souness

Have to re-point slabs too and was looking at the brush in method, seems a lot less hassle. Am wondering about existing weeds though and they possibly growing through the new grout and would a wet mix be better at preventing weed growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

Cheers lads, I might give the joints a spray of roundup for the weeds. That stuff looks spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Do you not end up with a film of the grout on the surface of the paving? With tiles you can wash it away but on paving you can brush for ever and not completely get rid of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

The best stuff I've seen in a long time is a material called fuge, its about 40 euro a bucket but after using it a few times I wouldn't use anything else, although their is a few products out their, but that's what I'd recommend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

holdfast wrote: »
    Hello all,

I have nearly 20m.sq+ of paving slabs to re grout. Can anyone recommend a product or method. I have seen two different ways a wet mix or a dry mix, but cant decide. Any information would be a help

thanks

I've grouted wet and dry and I find wet to be better, easier and a nicer finish.
    I make a thick soup-like mix, a small jug, a steady hand and pour it in. It levels itself and clean-up is minimal. I'm sure others will disagree but I prefer this one.
    Dry requires less vigilance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

whupdedo wrote: »
    The best stuff I've seen in a long time is a material called fuge, its about 40 euro a bucket but after using it a few times I wouldn't use anything else, although their is a few products out their, but that's what I'd recommend

I don't think the fuge or other silicone sand products hold up in time, what kind of paving are you re finishing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I don't think the fuge or other silicone sand products hold up in time, what kind of paving are you re finishing?

But what does hold up, mortor cracks out of the joints and sand simply disappears over time, from what I've seen the fuge will probably stand the test of time and little better than motor joints

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

whupdedo wrote: »
    But what does hold up, mortor cracks out of the joints and sand simply disappears over time, from what I've seen the fuge will probably stand the test of time and little better than motor joints

Well it depends on what there bedded in, if there's too much movement nothing will stay, personally I would make a good concrete base to set them on and then depending on the stone or slab grout them with either a sand cement mix or grout.

• Site Banned Posts: 31 bumblebee2

I used Permajoint from Kilsaran for regrouting my patio pavers.Alot of the builders merchants and patio centres stock it and its about 18 euro for a large tub of it.You just brush it into the paving joint on a dry day and let it set.It sets to rock solid within a day.No need to water it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 31 bumblebee2

If you have a problem with weeds in the patio joints then mix up a 10-1 vinegar to salt ratio of homemade weedkiller.10 parts vinegar,1 part salt and a squirt of fairy liquid.Shake it all up and leave to settle for around 2 hours so that the salt disolves.Then use a cheap sprayer bottle to spray the solution on the weeds.Then watch the weeds wither and die rapidly.Do not spray this solution anywhere near plants or flowers as this homemade solution kills everything it touches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

We used Rompox. Anyone else tried that. I need to top it up a bit because it was left a bit low.

Advertisement