Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn Care - Spray

Options
  • 12-06-2014 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I have just purchased a 15 gallon sprayer with spray bar and an attachment for my ride on. I am looking for advice on what to spray (combination/mix) to kill as many weeds as possible and then a seperate spray for lawn growth etc. The lawn is mature but has never been properly treated and was originally a field, size is just over 1 acre.
    Asboulte garden novice so any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Newgrange Warrior

Dicophar for the weeds & clover is the best from my experience (pick up in garden center/farm supplies usually). Required dosage is on the bottle. - http://www.thegardenshop.ie/lawn-weed-killer.html

Your can also get iron sulphate (for weeds/moss) with nutrients also which can be dissolved in warmish water and then applied to lawn- http://www.arro.ie/sulphate_of_iron.aspx. Only problem with killing the moss, the lawn will blacken and you will have to rake/scarify it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

You're obviously not a city-dweller, so I recommend going to your local Farm/Agri Store and getting their advice. If you know which type of weeds are mostly in your lawn/field, they can give you a precise and specific product which has been tried and tested by other farmers/users locally.
    Another option is to just fertilise the lawn and mow the weeds into submission - that's what I do by mowing every 5 days but my lawn is 120 metres as opposed to your 4,000.

For fertiliser: (Do you remove the clippings? More fertiliser is needed for greener pasture, if you remove them. Leaving them requires more frequent cutting)
    1 bag of 10-10-20 will do you until next year- half now, half at the start of Aug. The avg. rate of application is 3 bags per acre (25 euro for 50 kg) but 1 will give a nice boost to yours without sending the grass into overdrive. I use it on my own lawn and clients gardens in a lighter proportion but there is extra labour is dissolving it so it won't clog sprayers.
    The easiest fertiliser is tomato food. 2 litres costs about 6 euro and its recommended app. rate is 10mls per 10 litres of water

The easiest fertiliser is tomato food. 2 litres costs about 6 euro and its recommended app. rate is 10mls per 10 litres of water

How much of this do you put out per m2 or per acre?

Edit: I mean how many litres of tomato food diluted as above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

That's at your own discretion. I don't spray it on my lawn but I have fed others with it.
    I use the same dose but use 10L per 10 sq. mt. It's possible to use less water and increase the dose of TF.

Advertisement