Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The RDF as Film extras

Options
  • 12-06-2014 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭

I know 2,500 members of the RDF were used as extras in Saving Private Ryan and they were also members of the RDF in Braveheart .Anybody else know if they were any other films the RDF were used as extras in ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

I think some of the RDF featured in the TV movie My Boy Jack which was filmed in Ireland a few years ago:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0851430/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Hareton

The wind that shakes the barley? I know someone who was an extra in it who was also rdf at the time. Not sure if the rdf was actually used for extras tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

air corp pilots were in the movie the blue max

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

FCA and Rergulars in the Bleu Max, (Keep an eye out for the Germans in the trenches with 303 SMLE's and the British with No 4 Enfields).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

enfield wrote: »
    FCA and Rergulars in the Bleu Max, (Keep an eye out for the Germans in the trenches with 303 SMLE's and the British with No 4 Enfields).

My father was in the FCA at the time and was going to be in that film but he couldn't get any time off work. He's was gutted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Braveheart

With up to 1600 extras required for the battles, the production drafted in members of the F.C.A., the Irish version of the territorial army.

Subsequently, a rumour abounds that some of the battle scenes seen in the movie are far more realistic than intended, with rival companies using the occasion to settle a few old scores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Is that video still doing the rounds of that corporal chick from an RDF cav reg being spit roasted on camp by 2x2*s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭BowWow

Laurence Olivier's 1944 "Henry V"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_V_(1944_film)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

During my time in the FCA there was TV series called 'The Year of the French' based on the book by the same name. The FCA was extensively used for the battle scenes both in the West and in and around Dublin and Wicklow. I got to be both a French soldier and a British soldier and learned how to load and fire muskets. Every time you fire one you get a face full of hot burning gunpowder! We were also taught the 'Queen Anne' drill movements.

FCA/RDF are regularly used in TV and films which feature soldiers, handling weapons or fighting. But also PDF.

Recently there was a BBC series called 'Small Island'. They used members of the RDF to play American GIs in WW2.

Also in the BBC TV series 'Rebel Heart' which was set around the 1916 rising and war of independence. RDF were used as rioters and RIC. As per Gizmo's post, they really took it seriously and got stuck into each other. I was genuinely nervous as I drove past in a car sitting beside 'Michael Collins' and 'Eamon DeValera'.

Great fun!

Also and I could be wrong as I wasn't involved but I'm sure FCA were involved in 'Michael Collins'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I remember that 'The Year of the French' being on when I was a kids. Was a big deal at the time!

• Advertisement
Advertisement