Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grants for leaving certificate?

Options
  • 12-06-2014 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

My mother wants to kick me out on my 18th birthday in August and I'm scared I won't be able to finish my leaving certificate and that the past 5 years will have been for nothing. I believe I could work hard enough to make the rent, but there's no way I'll be able to afford all the school fees on my own.

Does anyone know if there are any grants or any place I can get help?
    I've always been a hard worker at school, managing to scores A's and B's in everything (bar Irish which I have an exemption from) and in the real world, but, my mother has had depression for a long time and every day at home is awful so I'll be glad to get away from her constant abuse. I don't have anyone to take me in and my 18th is really close, I'm also scared that if my tormentors from school find out they'll start cutting up my school bag and books again since I won't be able to get new ones :-(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dee15

Saster123 wrote: »
    My mother wants to kick me out on my 18th birthday in August and I'm scared I won't be able to finish my leaving certificate and that the past 5 years will have been for nothing. I believe I could work hard enough to make the rent, but there's no way I'll be able to afford all the school fees on my own.

Does anyone know if there are any grants or any place I can get help?
    I've always been a hard worker at school, managing to scores A's and B's in everything (bar Irish which I have an exemption from) and in the real world, but, my mother has had depression for a long time and every day at home is awful so I'll be glad to get away from her constant abuse. I don't have anyone to take me in and my 18th is really close, I'm also scared that if my tormentors from school find out they'll start cutting up my school bag and books again since I won't be able to get new ones :-(

I'm sorry I don't know anything about grants for the leaving cert but I just wanted to say how sorry I am that you're having such a hard time :( maybe see if the school can help, guidance counsellors would probably know if grants are available! Also keep looking for someone to take you in, you could always try and stay with a friend and contribue to the food and bills a bit and use the rest of what you earn to pay for your schooling and give the family you stayed with money when you get a college grant! Hope everything works out for you :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Most state schools (I can't speak for private ones) have a fund that they can use to help people who can't pay the 'fees' for photocopying, insurance etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

Are you sure the fees aren't voluntary? In our school we get a letter telling us to tick a box saying we'll pay the fee even though we don't have to, they just try to make it look like we do have to pay.

Speaking to your guidance counsellor is your best option imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shane1996

Afaik parents must provide for their children in full time education until they are 23

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

I'd say get in contact with your school and ask them if they could support you financially. The fact that you such a good grade record is on your side and I'm sure they'll be willing to help you.

Schools will still be open this time of year because of exams but hurry with getting in contact as they be close on the 20th of June!

Also, I'd talk to your local credit union and see if they could provide you with excess financial assistance as I believe they'd be very sympathetic to your case.

Very best of luck and at the end of the day, those you wish to succeed will find a way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Saster123

Thank you everyone, you all responded so quickly. I've tried calling the school, but no one picks up, but I'm still going to talk to the guidance counsellor when I get back. There's a place near the school for 35 euros a week. It's tiny but if I can finish my education it's worth it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

Thank you everyone, you all responded so quickly. I've tried calling the school, but no one picks up, but I'm still going to talk to the guidance counsellor when I get back. There's a place near the school for 35 euros a week. It's tiny but if I can finish my education it's worth it I think.

That's perfect! Hope it all works out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Perhaps instead of phoning the school, you could call up there. There are definitely people around while the exams are on. You could ask to make an appointment with the principal, deputy principal, or guidance counselor, explaining that it's important and that your ability to stay in school next year is at risk. I would be very surprised if they couldn't arrange an appointment to talk with you over the next week or two to discuss your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Call into your school. It will be open until the end of the exams for definite and I know in the school I work in, the principal and deputy principal are usually around until the end of June. They may be able to help you or at least get the wheels in motion to sort you out before the next school year.

Advertisement