Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pain from change of surface

Options
  • 12-06-2014 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

I know medical advise isnt allowed on Boards but just wondering if anybody else suffers from something similar, I've starting running on different surfaces during the week, running track, grass and concrete. Since doing this i've started to get aches in my ankles that lead up the back off my leg almost into the lower back.

Has anybody came across this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Is there a particualr one that is causing you trouble? Also, have you run much on grass? Depending on how uneven the surface is, running on grass is tougher on the body than road or track as the uneven surface makes your body work harder, which is a good thing within reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

I never run on grass at all. The club I'm with do a thursday session on grass and I'm beginning to think it might be something to do with that. Its not thats its too uneven but its a completely different surface than road and track. I think I will lay off the grass for a while and see if it improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

pconn062 wrote: »
    Is there a particualr one that is causing you trouble? Also, have you run much on grass? Depending on how uneven the surface is, running on grass is tougher on the body than road or track as the uneven surface makes your body work harder, which is a good thing within reason.

I never used to run on grass at all. The club I'm with do a thursday session on grass and I'm beginning to think it might be something to do with that. Its not thats its too uneven but its a completely different surface than road and track. I think I will lay off the grass for a while and see if it improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭rom

manlad wrote: »
    I think I will lay off the grass for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fat to ripped

I used to run outdoors all the time, but for the past 5 years I've been on the treadmill only. Tried recently and realised my feet can't take it any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I used to run outdoors all the time, but for the past 5 years I've been on the treadmill only. Tried recently and realised my feet can't take it any more.

I'm sure your feet would recover if you take it slowly and build up outdoors from short to longer runs. Treadmill running comes with its own drawbacks (boredom being one of them!)

Advertisement