Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing wheatgrass without soil

Options
  • 12-06-2014 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Firstly; I know hardly anything about gardening, but I've been trying to come up with an idea to grow wheatgrass without soil, because of mainly two reasons; money and access - I don't have transport, so buying potting soil online becomes my only option, except money is an issue.

So I've been thinking about alternatives: Coconut mats are a popular medium for growing hydroponically, but then money is an issue again - so I've been racking my brain for cheap food safe alternatives.

I also juice; as in vegetable juicing. So I though, what about using the vegetable pulp as a growing medium? I can still correct the pH if needed, and add liquid kelp (though I don't know if that is even necessary). Would that be feasible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

How much are you hoping to grow? Do you live in an apartment? Make you own compost.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭diegroblers

redser7 wrote: »
    How much are you hoping to grow? Do you live in an apartment? Make you own compost.

I'm not really interested in making compost; I'm too busy with other stuff.

That's why I wanted to know if I can use vegetable pulp.

No you can't. With time it will rot to compost. Why don't you have any soil?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭diegroblers

redser7 wrote: »
    With time it will rot to compost.

We're talking max 20 days, though, but probably more like 15.

The garden needs soil, I can't take more out.

But also, I know myself, if it's a bit of a mission, I will eventually stop doing it, so I'm trying to find the method that has the least effort, so that I don't stop doing it.

Combining all those reasons together is what made me start looking at hydroponics. Now I know they say that a seed contains all the necessary nutrients to sprout. But we are not just sprouting here, the wheatgrass actually grows for more than a week. So I was thinking that the vegetable pulp will provide nutrients. Either that or growing without a medium and adding liquid kelp to the water.

Well best of luck to you :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement