Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmon licence Mulcair River

Options
  • 11-06-2014 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

hello there, I am new to the salmon fishing and a small bit confused about a salmon permit for the Mulcair river. I purchased an esb Mulcair salmon angling permit today from Londis in Annacotty for €100. I then enquired about tags to which I was told "oh you have to get them from the Shannon fisheries on the dock road"...I said fair enough and I presume they are free?.."oh no about €70 actually"...I was fairly shocked at this to say the least..is it really €170 to try catch a few salmon on the mulcair??

I have searched on the internet for this info and cannot seem to find any website with this info..it appears to me that the Shannon fisheries list of rules is outdated as I always thought if you bought a licence you were covered for both the lower Shannon and mulcair..according to the lad in the shop I had to choose between one or the other. Quote taken from Shannon fisheries website:

"Fishery details
    Mulclair River salmon fishing
    Permits for Mulcair River also cover the Lower Shannon fisheries.

Mulcair River is a tributary of the River Shannon. It joins the Shannon near Annacotty."

Any info greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

One is your salmon licence and the other is a permit to fish a particular water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yes as posted above one is your permit to fish from those who hold the fishing rights to the river. The other is the state licence you are required to have by law when targeting salmon and/or seatrout.

The salmon licence will cover to to fish for salmon in the entire region tho. You may find cheaper or even free salmon angling around too (where a permit is not required).

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Hi

Are they salmon tags still 70 euro for b Junior anglers??

Thanks

Accord to here its only a tenner if you're under 18. Not bad value at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Fred Nash

Thanks very much. So just to clarify I need a state salmon licence along with a permit to fish the waters. And both of these have to be purchased every season I presume? Example; salmon licence is only valid for one year?
    €170 seems quite expensive, but I have the majority paid now. Say I fished away with the permit can I still get in trouble even if not in possession of killed salmon?

• Advertisement

Fred Nash wrote: »
    Thanks very much. So just to clarify I need a state salmon licence along with a permit to fish the waters. And both of these have to be purchased every season I presume? Example; salmon licence is only valid for one year?
    €170 seems quite expensive, but I have the majority paid now. Say I fished away with the permit can I still get in trouble even if not in possession of killed salmon?

For the waters you are fishing then yes, you need a permit to fish them it seems. I fish several rivers for seatrout and the occasional salmon where no permit is required other than the permission of the landowner to cross his land.

And yes, you are required to have the licence when targeting the species. The salmon licence can be purchased for one day, 21 days or a year. Day permits can be obtained on a lot of fisheries for just a day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Fred Nash

Ok, thanks for clearing all of that up. Better suck it up and spend my €170 and get use of my time on the waters. Its good to know I can fish all around Ireland on waters that do not require permits and just require permission from the land owners. Thanks for the input people.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

€170 would get you on some beats for two days maybe even just the one depending on time of year. You spent €170 for a season which is not bad value, you have ten tags and there are free waters all around Ireland. €170 is how many rounds of golf ? How many pints/fags etc..

FYI Salmon License info

All Districts (i.e. all Regions) Annual: €100
    Juvenile (under the age of 18 years) All Districts Annual: €10
    One District, Annual: €56
    All districts, 21 Days: €40
    All districts, 1 Day: €20
    Foyle Area Extension: €80
    Special local licence: €24

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Fred Nash wrote: »

First of all, you can get the licence for €56 which covers you to fish for salmon in one district for the season, or an all-districts licence for €100, which covers the Republic of Ireland. There is no licence for €70.
    Secondly, yes, you can still get in a lot of trouble if you're caught fishing without the licence - a €150 on-the-spot fine for a start, along with having your gear confiscated, and prosecution if you don't pay the fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Any luck on the fly, Fred? Just wondering if you tried any of the flies I suggested and how you got on with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Do ESB actually provide Day tickets on the Mulcair and the beats in Castleconnell ?

Advertisement