Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tattoos

Options
  • 11-06-2014 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Was having this conversation with a friend and am just curious as to people's opinions...

What would your first impression be of a person with lots of tattoos, including one on their neck?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Was having this conversation with a friend and am just curious as to people's opinions...

What would your first impression be of a person with lots of tattoos, including one on their neck?

Unless they are in the tattoo game or famous or some kind of artist a neck tattoo just looks wrong and in general is found on the unemployed......imo

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭osaurus

Not much at all. Just tells me they like tattoos, nothing else. I'd form a better opinion if I chatted with them and got to know them.

I'm biased however, I've quite a few but none easily visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

I try not to make assumptions or judge people, but.........

Tattoo on neck - generally long term unemployed/rough kind of person and they look terrible.

Tattoo on body - normal and common these days but nearly all tattoos imo are tacky. I have only seen a handful of tats that look good and they are usually online and done by some of the worlds best artists.

This is just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Would depend greatly on the tattoo/s and quality of tattooing ... generally speaking I wouldn't have a problem, but then again I do have a tattoo albeit easily concealable.

Edit: I've seen some very good neck tattoo work, I've seen some shoddy work. It's all down to perception at the end of the day and tattoos mean different things for different people. What one sees as "why?!" may well have personal meaning for someone else, or they just like the asthetics.

So where do you draw the line? Neck/face/finger tattoos are out, but forearms, ankles, lower backs, chests are ok? I mean it's all quite easily visible, and the amount of women with ankle, wrist, or lower back tattoos is staggering. Those are visible; so why aren't those people viewed as scum of the earth & long term unemployed at a glance? Short of being a deeply taboo symbol/topic, anyone that would judge someone for having a visible tattoo in this day and age is just an asshat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I don't have a particular opinion on tattoos, one way or the other. Some tattoos look cool. Others look stupid. So it depends.

Tattoos on the face or neck can look ugly. Teardrop tattoos on the face look particularly ridiculous.

2uo2l1f.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Claudette

Not all tattoos are born equal, some are tasteful and artistic, some are hideous. As a rule, neck tattoos are unattractive to me, but I have no bias against them generally.

Judge people on their merits, but if they have swastikas on their face and KILL tattooed on their knuckles, take that into account too,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I love "I dont judge people with tattoos but.." If its a nice tattoo complimented by a nice person its all good. Heck, if its a **** (but non offensive) tattoo on a nice person its all good.

People used to say visible tatoos whatsoever wouldnt be seen on an employed person not too long ago. Loved it when I was recently treated by a doctor with a tattoo up his forearm. Times they is a changing. If someone is good at a job and has a neck tattoo I'd hope they'd get the job on merit and not appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Claudette

Timmyctc wrote: »
    If someone is good at a job and has a neck tattoo I'd hope they'd get the job on merit and not appearance.

Not if the tattoo says HATE or KILL ALL GRANNIES he won't, no matter how spectacular his CV. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Claudette wrote: »
    Not if the tattoo says HATE or KILL ALL GRANNIES he won't, no matter how spectacular his CV. :)

You omitted the part of my post where I said (Non offensive) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,758 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have to say I don't like them. What I find odd is men who get them later in life, after the immature teenage years. In their 20s and 30s. Watched Beckham a couple of nights ago. He looks scruffy with them all down his arms and even on his hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

tattoo.jpg

:pac:

Seriously though, although tattoos have become much more acceptable over the last number of years, I do think that having them in constantly visible places - hands, neck, face etc looks kinda clotty. Grand if you are working in an industry that wouldn't be considered "mainstream" but if you dont, I would imagine getting a 9 to 5 would be difficult because at the end of the day, first impressions do last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Ohh you got a lot of tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I am not a fan of neck tattoos as for the most part they are done on people with **** all tattoo's these days and are never nice. I judge on the quality of the tattoo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I don't have a particular opinion on tattoos, one way or the other. Some tattoos look cool. Others look stupid. So it depends.

Tattoos on the face or neck can look ugly. Teardrop tattoos on the face look particularly ridiculous.

2uo2l1f.png

Isn't that a gang thing though, saying that you've killed someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

AFAIK, it represents time served in a juvenile facility, similar to borstal dots.

Edit: Wikipedia says it has several meanings (pretty much all fairly negative), including having killed someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I've seen and heard various interpretations:

1. Somebody close to them has died.
    2. Somebody close to them was murdered - unfilled teardrop.
    3. Somebody close to them was murdered and they killed the murderer - filled teardrop.
    4. They killed someone.
    5. They were raped in prison and this prison tattoo was applied against their will, in order to compound their humiliation.
    6. As number 5, but they tell people that the tattoo means that they killed somebody in prison, in order to spare them having to tell what actually happened.

I don't know which of the versions are supposed to be correct.

Does anyone actually know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

How I view tattoos, I have a friend who got a tattoo cause all of the rest of the group had a tattoo, he picked it of the wall and now at every opp shows people his tatt, for me that is a idiotic tattoo.
    Another friend got a tattoo copying mine, where I have two names in Elvish on my forearm, he got something in latin, once again picked of a wall, for me that is a idiotic tattoo.
    These two guys got them on the same day
    Two girls I work with were friends for two weeks then went and got matching music notes tattoos, Idiotic
    My brother designed his sleeves tattoos, put a lot of thought into them for me this is fine.
    I knew what my tattoo was going to be for about 7 years
    A girl im friends with got her two cousins who died dob on her bicep
    For me a tattoo has to be thought out, if you pick it of a wall a slap is what you need

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

astonaidan wrote: »
    For me a tattoo has to be thought out, if you pick it of a wall a slap is what you need

That's it exactly. If I was to put something on my body for the rest of my life it is going to be something unique that means something to me. Similarly I am willing to seek out a good artist and put a fair amount of money into. It is not something you shop around for and go with the second cheapest option :rolleyes:. I often thought of getting one and nearly did a couple of times but I always gave myself 2 years to think on it and never settled on one. Glad now that I didn't tbh as I think a tat would look silly on me.

To answer the OP, evertime I see a neck tattoo the only thing I think of is how much the guy/girl is going to regret it in future years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

How I view tattoos, I have a friend who got a tattoo cause all of the rest of the group had a tattoo, he picked it of the wall and now at every opp shows people his tatt, for me that is a idiotic tattoo.
    Another friend got a tattoo copying mine, where I have two names in Elvish on my forearm, he got something in latin, once again picked of a wall, for me that is a idiotic tattoo.
    These two guys got them on the same day
    Two girls I work with were friends for two weeks then went and got matching music notes tattoos, Idiotic
    My brother designed his sleeves tattoos, put a lot of thought into them for me this is fine.
    I knew what my tattoo was going to be for about 7 years
    A girl im friends with got her two cousins who died dob on her bicep

So a tattoo on someone else is ok provided you approve and see it as relevant to them and your tattoo in a non-existent language makes total sense simply because you had time to think about it? What's the Elvish for "get over yourself"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What's the Elvish for "get over yourself"?

Mod note - Keep it civil

• Advertisement

So a tattoo on someone else is ok provided you approve and see it as relevant to them and your tattoo in a non-existent language makes total sense simply because you had time to think about it? What's the Elvish for "get over yourself"?
    No a tattoo is ok imo as long as it is thought out, getting a tattoo cause everyone else is getting one is idiotic, as is picking one of a wall.
    How is a barbed wire tattoo relevant to anyone for example, tattoo artists take the piss out of these sort of guys, its just easy money for them.
    Dude its ok if your one of these guys, I couldnt care tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

No a tattoo is ok imo as long as it is thought out, getting a tattoo cause everyone else is getting one is idiotic, as is picking one of a wall.
    How is a barbed wire tattoo relevant to anyone for example, tattoo artists take the piss out of these sort of guys, its just easy money for them.
    Dude its ok if your one of these guys, I couldnt care tbh

You must love miaimi ink eh

You must love miaimi ink eh
    Ive never watched it tbh :o

Advertisement