Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing weeds around hedging

Options
  • 11-06-2014 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a product that I can use to kill the weeds growing around my laurel hedging - one that won't kill the hedge obviously!! I was thinking of a lawn weed killer such as dicophar might do the trick but would welcome any thoughts. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

What I have done in the past is fit a cone (or top of a big bottle) to the end of my roundup sprayer and very carefully avoid spraying the hedge leaves but I would be interested if anyone else suggests a better way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

How long is the hedge?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭creedp

nathan184 wrote: »
    What I have done in the past is fit a cone (or top of a big bottle) to the end of my roundup sprayer and very carefully avoid spraying the hedge leaves but I would be interested if anyone else suggests a better way of doing it.

Im old school and spent 3 hours on Saturday removing grass/weeds from base of 600 newly planted beech hedges. Unfortunately will probably have to do it again ina few weeks. There are obviously easier ways but I'd hate to use spray and suceed in killing a whole lot of plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Was going to suggest the manual way providing it wasn't too much work. If possible mulch afterwards to stop weeds coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Would you weed it once manually and then go at it with a hoe maybe every two weeks to maintain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Would you weed it once manually and then go at it with a hoe maybe every two weeks to maintain?
    Hoeing isn't recommended around the base of a hedge as it may disturb the roots and interfere with root growth, there really are only two options to remove/kill weeds, one been manual labour and the other is spraying, I wouldn't recommend spraying unless you're confident you know what you're doing and use one of these spray shields if possible.
    As for the best weedkiller, I'd say anything with glyphosate i.e. Gallup, Roundup etc.
    After you have the weeds cleared ideally you would mulch the area as someone else mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

MDUGGAN wrote: »
    Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a product that I can use to kill the weeds growing around my laurel hedging - one that won't kill the hedge obviously!! I was thinking of a lawn weed killer such as dicophar might do the trick but would welcome any thoughts. Many thanks.

There are selective weedkillers that target monocot- type plants (grasses) that don't affect dicots (shrubs).
    If the hedge has some space between its lowest leaves and the ground, you can spray generously since it doesn't matter if a bit gets on the trunk and the herbicide is usually neutralised upon contact with the soil.

I would recommend Roundup pro-biactive (10ml per litre of water) and if you buy the 5L drum, it is a lot cheaper than buying 1L but this depends on how often you will spray and what area needs treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

There are selective weedkillers that target monocot- type plants (grasses) that don't affect dicots (shrubs).
    If the hedge has some space between its lowest leaves and the ground, you can spray generously since it doesn't matter if a bit gets on the trunk and the herbicide is usually neutralised upon contact with the soil.

I would recommend Roundup pro-biactive (10ml per litre of water) and if you buy the 5L drum, it is a lot cheaper than buying 1L but this depends on how often you will spray and what area needs treatment.

Sorry I think this needs some clarification:
    Roundup (glyphosate) is a non-selective herbicide and will kill both monocots and dicots. Lazybones is just saying roundup is ok if you can avoid the leaves, which is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

thats the way i always do it too,a fairy bottle i find best espically for edges.
    OP.there is stuff to mix with the round up that seals the ground and stops weeds growing.do it twice a year and you will never see a weed.
    give national agri chemicals in dublin a ring and they are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Sorry I think this needs some clarification:
    Roundup (glyphosate) is a non-selective herbicide and will kill both monocots and dicots. Lazybones is just saying roundup is ok if you can avoid the leaves, which is correct.

Interesting thread and you guys seem to know your herbicides. Side query but related.
    You might be the right ones to explain something that has puzzled me.
    What does Round*Up ( glyphosate) do that Gram*oxone (Paraquat) did not? ( both contact weed killers, post emergence, non discriminatory, neutralized on contact with soil but both extremely poisonous )
    Seems whole world is getting "Round*up ready" and whilst EC banned Paraquat for whatever reason, it's still available in Far East plantation control and apparently in USA.

Appreciate any clarification from SME's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Interesting thread and you guys seem to know your herbicides. Side query but related.
    You might be the right ones to explain something that has puzzled me.
    What does Round*Up ( glyphosate) do that Gram*oxone (Paraquat) did not? ( both contact weed killers, post emergence, non discriminatory, neutralized on contact with soil but both extremely poisonous )
    Seems whole world is getting "Round*up ready" and whilst EC banned Paraquat for whatever reason, it's still available in Far East plantation control and apparently in USA.

Appreciate any clarification from SME's.

I don't know the reasoning the EU used - and still uses - to ban certain chemicals, while viewing similar ones as acceptable (remember the proposed ban on rat poison main agent a few years ago?)

Glyphosate is already under scrutiny: concentrations of it in breast milk in American mothers has been increasing and this is a worrying trend because Monsanto came to some agreement with the EU to develop certain pesticides and herbicides. Monsanto, being a major player in Genetic-Modification, have developed a strain of cereal that is totally resistant to glyphosate but it must absorb some concentration of it. (This was in the news last week) https://www.google.com/search?q=traces+of+glyphosate+being+found+in+breast+milk&oq=traces+of+glyphosate+being+found+in+breast+milk&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl

The EU has banned the most effective chemicals over the years but I guess that isn't a bad thing, since many people don't educate themselves on proper use.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Thanks for reply LazyBones. I share your opinion - the EC policy on these weed killers does make you wonder.
    At least most of us knew the potency and dangers of the outgoing product 'PQ' : generally it was stored and confined to out of reach shelving or locked cabinets at supply stores or on farm. It's sale was regulated/ questioned at till too if I recall- to ensure its proper handling and purpose.
    Then it gets replaced with equally potent products that can be bought off a supermarket shelf along with groceries, by one and all!

Advertisement