Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pump for water butts

Options
  • 11-06-2014 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if here or "Plumbing" is the right section for this, but Let's give it a go.

I have multiple water butts around the place and currently just use the taps to get the water out. I want to make some kind of mains electric pump that I can carry from one place to the other to supply water from the butts, at pressure, to a hose. It would need up to 5M head pressure and be strong enough to feed about 50M of hose.

Anybody got any bright ideas where or what kit to get to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Would something like this not work?

http://www.handyhardware.ie/cat/Water-Pumps/301/377

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

It might be ok, but I was looking for something to connect to mains electricity. I know a drill does that, but I was looking for a self contained unit.

Thanks for the link. Looks like a useful site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

lidl regularly have a stainless steel garden pump in there specials area

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

ifah wrote: »
    Reading the questions on that, it looks like the pressure is a bit low. But, thanks for the link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gerobrien25

Would a pump like those used on a heating system do? I changed connections on an old one from the house and plug it into a socket when needed

Would a pump like those used on a heating system do? I changed connections on an old one from the house and plug it into a socket when needed
    A circulating pump wouldn't give the pressure I need. I want to be able to spray from a hose like it was connected to mains water.

• Site Banned Posts: 31 bumblebee2

Gosub wrote: »
    A circulating pump wouldn't give the pressure I need. I want to be able to spray from a hose like it was connected to mains water.
    I bought a waterbutt pump in Chadwickes last Thursday for 40 euro.It sits down in the base of the water butt and has a telescopic hook and pipe that goes up to the top of the water butt.You plug the pump into a mains socket and then you can pump water via a garden hose.I use it to feed the veg patch at the very bottom of my back garden.Its a grand pump and plenty of water pressure from 50 meters of hose.Argos also sell them from time to time as do other builders merchants and gardening centres.You will get it a bit cheaper in Chadwicks of Heiton Buckleys than in the garden centres.I cut a small notch out of my water butt lid so that I can place the lid back on and lock it down.The pump remains inside the water butt pump and I have it plugges into an outside garden socket.I then have my 50 meter garden hose connected up to the telescopic pump pipe hat stickes out the top of the water butt lid.Good luck with it.

bumblebee2 wrote: »
    I bought a waterbutt pump in Chadwickes last Thursday for 40 euro.It sits down in the base of the water butt and has a telescopic hook and pipe that goes up to the top of the water butt.You plug the pump into a mains socket and then you can pump water via a garden hose.I use it to feed the veg patch at the very bottom of my back garden.Its a grand pump and plenty of water pressure from 50 meters of hose.Argos also sell them from time to time as do other builders merchants and gardening centres.You will get it a bit cheaper in Chadwicks of Heiton Buckleys than in the garden centres.I cut a small notch out of my water butt lid so that I can place the lid back on and lock it down.The pump remains inside the water butt pump and I have it plugges into an outside garden socket.I then have my 50 meter garden hose connected up to the telescopic pump pipe hat stickes out the top of the water butt lid.Good luck with it.
    That sounds like the business. Any maker name on it?

Pro plus and Garden plus.You will get them from time to time in Woodies too,but Woodies are more expensive than a builders merchants.

• Advertisement

Heres the exact one that I bought,got it for 40 euro in Chadwicks as I know one of the lads that works there so gave me a discount.

www .heitonbuckley.ie/click-and-collect/water-butt-pump-c/w-floating-switch-pps975820.html

bumblebee2 wrote: »
    Heres the exact one that I bought,got it for 40 euro in Chadwicks as I know one of the lads that works there so gave me a discount.

www .heitonbuckley.ie/click-and-collect/water-butt-pump-c/w-floating-switch-pps975820.html
    I was just looking at that exact thing on another tab. :) Nice discount. I wish I had a friend.... any friend. :D

I was just looking at that exact thing on another tab. :) Nice discount. I wish I had a friend.... any friend. :D
    As Garth Brooks says "Ive got friends in low places" and high places too .LOL
    Aldi were also selling these water butt pumps a while back,brand name was GardenLine and they were 40 euro there aswell.But I think that was a couple of months ago.

Heres the ProPlus waterbutt pump in Newlands Garden centre for 70 euro.Karcher Ireland also sell a specific Karcher waterbutt pump with telescopic hook and pipe,but this is just on 100 euro.So its up to you where you want to buy it from and at what porice you want to pay.
    www .newlands.ie/PROPLUS-WATER-BUTT-PUMP-350-WATT/72601

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Water pumps in Lidl in Nutgrove if you're anywhere near South Dublin.

Hmmm let me see... 50 squid in Heiton or 70 in a garden centre. Not a hard choice. :D

That one in Lidl looks good too. Must have a look in my local store (Wexford).

TJJP wrote: »
    Water pumps in Lidl in Nutgrove if you're anywhere near South Dublin.
    That pump is a very good pump for pumping water.It sits outside the water butt or tank on a flat level shelf or on the ground,and it draws the water into it via a 4 meter suction hose.The suction hose has to be bought seperately as it doesnt come supplied with the pump.All you get in the box is the pump.The pump has to be primed 1st with water,you unscrew the bleed screw and you pour in some water to prime it so that when you turn it on it will suck the water out of the water butt or water tank and pump it.Its also quite a noisy pump too,98db which is a bit louder than say a karcher power washer.

I bought the ProPlus pump and it does pretty much all I asked for.

Thanks to all for the guidance offered. :)

Advertisement