Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC upgrade, looking for suggestions.

Options
  • 11-06-2014 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hey folks, my PC is in dire need of an upgrade so I'm hoping any experts out there can help me decide what to purchase.

My rig is about 5 years old by now, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Current setup is as follows:

CPU - Intel i7 920
    Mobo - Asus P6T
    RAM - 12gb Corsair 1600mhz (Only 6gb working...)
    Graphics card : ATI 5770 1gb
    HDD - Standard 7200rpm stuff
    PSU - Corsair HX 750w
    Case - CM Storm Sniper Black
    OS - Win7 Ultimate 64bit

First intended purchase is a decent SSD followed by a decent graphics card.

I assume the case and PSU are okay for another round?

Being out of the loop with regards to components and things have left me a biteen overwhelmed with the options available so I'm hoping the good folks here could help out with any ideas you might have.

Looking to spend 500-600 possibly, not opposed to going over budget but bargains are most welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

Your CPU is still good. How much are you willing to spend on the GPU and how much gigs do you want for the ssd?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭shanous

Well if the CPU is fine then the majority will go on GPU/SSD/RAM.

Probably 120gb for the SSD, enough for OS and core games I suppose but if 256 makes more sense I'll go for that. Open to all suggestions to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Crucial 250 gig SSD 99 euro.

And a gtx 780. 419 euro. Sorted.

6 gigs ram is enough. So scratch that.

Would you recommend that make? Might as well get a decent one while I'm at it.

shanous wrote: »
    Would you recommend that make? Might as well get a decent one while I'm at it.

Nothing wrong with the make at all but if you want Samsung evo 240 119.

• Advertisement

Nice one, thanks. Much difference between AMD and nVidia cards now? Used always get AMD myself

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

They're both good, take a look at the r9 series from amd ;)

R9 290 great card. Price performance. Just get a good brand one Asus , sapphire tri x, or gigabyte GHz edition. Don't know prices off the top of my head but around the 450 mark.

Any recommendations in what R9 cards have the best bang for buck?

Nice one, I'll have a look.

Anything else you'd recommend for an upgrade? Seeing as CPU/RAM etc is fine as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

I presume you already have an aftermarket cooler but if not grab a 212 evo.

• Advertisement

I've a v10 cooler alright, does the job. Had CPU at 4ghz for a long time without any issues.

Might get a decent gaming keyboard/mouse while I'm at it, anything recommended there?

Returning to this thread for one last bit of advice.

Seeing as my monitor is 1080p and wont be upgrading that anytime soon, what level graphics card makes most sense?

Was looking at R9 290/290x as recommended but is that a little overkill for somebody that wont be playing at 1440 - 4k etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

A Sapphire R9 290 Tri X gets my vote. About €390 incl shipping. Perfect for 1080p and will see you right for some time to come.

Advertisement