Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server Monitoring - SMS

Options
  • 11-06-2014 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm using Observium & Lansweeper for everyday monitoring of servers & comms in addition to Total Network Monitor which pings our main servers & VMs continually - sending a mail when one of them drops.

This works fine however TNM allows sending of SMS which would be perfect (our building is prone to powercuts during poor weather, last night being an example) - if our entire Cork office goes down, then I'd like to setup a monitor from a remote office to continually send me SMS messages in order to wake me and contact the ESB / whoever needs to be notified.

I'd prefer a free solution but any advice on what to setup would be great. Solarwinds NPM alerting is brilliant, however, I'm happy with what I have in place right now so Solarwinds would cost too much for what I want it for.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi,

I dont use "free products" dunno why,dont trust them,i can be wrong ! :)

I'm using this product.
    It has a lots of customization,checks at every 5/15 minute time slot.
    Lots of pings and alerts via email and /or SMS.

I can run a demo with you to show how is doing the checks,sms/email alerts and so on OR get yourself a trial and play with.

Any Qs, let me know.,more than happy to assist you.

Have fun...

Hi,

I dont use "free products" dunno why,dont trust them,i can be wrong ! :)

I'm using this product.
    It has a lots of customization,checks at every 5/15 minute time slot.
    Lots of pings and alerts via email and /or SMS.

Were have just implemented this and it is very powerful..
    And support is very good.

Highly recommend it..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'll check that out and look to get a trial up and running - what would be the main features of it that you like?

With LANsweeper we can check everything from BIOS version, Network availability for the previous week, assign ownership, borrowed status, event logs, add documents etc. to individual devices

The left panel then has quick links which are quite handy for pinging, SSH, telnet, remote desktop, open the C drive, remotely shutdown/reboot.

So to that end I'm quite happy with it for day to day troubleshooting for users. Observium gives more information on servers network activities over a longer period then.

This solution looks like it encompasses quite a bit so just wondering what features you find best with it?

Advertisement