Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing galaxy s4 glass

Options
  • 11-06-2014 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi Guys,

I dropped my s4 and cracked the screen yesterday. The phone/lcd are working perfectly still. I was looking around at replacement services and they are all around €150+. I think they just replace the lcd also though which I don't need. I've ordered a genuine replacement screen online and was wondering if a) anyone here has replaced the glass themselves or b) does anyone know where I could get the glass replaced by someone else when it arrives. I see there are plenty of tutorials online but just wondering if anyone has done it personally. I work in a lab so I have access to heat guns, thermometers tools etc.

Thanks in advanced

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mr Deeds

When you say you have ordered a genuine replacement screen online, do you just mean the glass??
    If yes to the above, then I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but AFAIK none of the parts available online would be "genuine" parts - Samsung authorised repair centres would be getting the parts directly, but I doubt if any of them are selling these parts on and most of the "glass only" parts are between £2 and £8 - no official repair centre will fit just the glass - not worth it for them - don't get me wrong, whatever you bought will probably work, and probably came out of a factory next door to the Samsung factory - if you are careful and have access to the correct tools and the right glue to fit the new one then you should be fine - wouldn't risk it myself though - you can get the S4 screen+digitizer for around £100 on Amazon - far easier than messing with heat guns/glue and moulds etc..etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 loudona

Thanks for your reply, I ordered the glass from these guys: etradesupply (sorry can't post links as I'm a new member still) According to them its real corning gorilla glass 3 OEM glass
    I'm not too concerned whether or not it's genuine but it's pretty close. I work in a chemistry lab so I've access to all the thermometers/heat guns etc. I figure I might as well give it a go and if it doesn't work I've to buy the new digitizer anyway. There aren't too many other concerns in trying other than messing up the digitizer are there? Provided I don't do something stupid.

Advertisement