Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right hander putting lefthanded

Options
  • 11-06-2014 7:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

After struggling with putting for the past 2 years I'm thinking of going lefthanded just with the putter.
    Had a lesson for putting (Right handed) the guy told me my left hand must lead slow back and accelerate through. Because my left side is weaker I find it hard to control the slow back part.
    I tried the same stroke lefthanded (righthand on the bottom) with the back of my putter and I found I have so much more control.
    It makes sense in so many ways, my dominant eye will be closer to the target, my right shoulder muscles are already much more in control and it feels better.
    So I think I need to get my hands on a lefthanded putter to practice.
    Anyone gone down this path? I'm off 19 so what do I have to lose.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Interesting approach!! For me, putting is all about confidence, so whatever gives you that confidence is the best solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,098 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

OP would you consider trying left hand below right instead of switching to putting left handed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

GreeBo wrote: »
    OP would you consider trying left hand below right instead of switching to putting left handed?

I have tried that it does feel ok with shoulders level.
    I also use the iPing app and I tend to have a strong arc in my stroke right handed. Need to test it with a LH putter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

After struggling with putting for the past 2 years I'm thinking of going lefthanded just with the putter.
    Had a lesson for putting (Right handed) the guy told me my left hand must lead slow back and accelerate through. Because my left side is weaker I find it hard to control the slow back part.
    I tried the same stroke lefthanded (righthand on the bottom) with the back of my putter and I found I have so much more control.
    It makes sense in so many ways, my dominant eye will be closer to the target, my right shoulder muscles are already much more in control and it feels better.

I'd imagine it's not the way forward but if we live anyways close I've a Scotty Cameron bullseye that can be used left or right handed. You are free to borrow it and try it on the putting green for a few days or whatever. Note it's not for sale it was given to me as a present so you could try the left handed stroke for a while without any pressure having bought or whatever. Pm if you want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

OP I've a left and right handed putter in the bag atm. A leftie on other clubs, I lag putt with a right handed- anything under 8 foot I putt left handed. Only trying this very recently and seems to have helped my lagging no ends.

Can't say ill stay this way long term though, just trying anything to get confidence going again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

I dont understand why someone would tell you to control your putting stroke with your less dominant side.Also if your left hand accelerates through its very hard to release the putter through the ball. I would recommend right side control for you on the through swing.This video might help
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnMJJ4D-_wo

I think if you do an hour of putting right handed and then do another hour putting right handed only looking at the hole when you swing the putter you will bring the fun back to your putting

• Registered Users Posts: 27,098 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

agusta wrote: »
    I dont understand why someone would tell you to control your putting stroke with your less dominant side.Also if your left hand accelerates through its very hard to release the putter through the ball. I would recommend right side control for you on the through swing.This video might help
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnMJJ4D-_wo

I think if you do an hour of putting right handed and then do another hour putting right handed only looking at the hole when you swing the putter you will bring the fun back to your putting

Do you need to "release the putter" though?
    I never do, rock the shoulders and keep the triangle, I dont cock my wrists so no need to uncock/release (unless Im putting it 30 yards!)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I used to have one of those putters for left and right handed golfers and if i was having a bad day i would switch to the left handed. People actually said my left handed stroke was far better.

putting is personal. Don't let people tell you, you are wrong when it comes to putting. You do what works for you on the greens. Best of luck with it ;)

I never do, rock the shoulders and keep the triangle, I dont cock my wrists so no need to uncock/release (unless Im putting it 30 yards!)
    No you dont,putting swing are like fingerprints,all unique.Tiger woods always talks about putter release,jack nicklaus controlled the through swing with his right hand.i think alot of golfers keep the triangle and the shoulders locked through the swing and the putter swing is too mechanical,It doesent make them bad putters,but if your going through a bad patch its time to free it up

The release is not really an uncocking of the wrists,your just keeping the handle back in center of your body as opposed to pushing or draging the handle down the target line,thus your still keeping your triangle in your arms with the club handle in center of your arms

• Advertisement

OP I've a left and right handed putter in the bag atm. A leftie on other clubs, I lag putt with a right handed- anything under 8 foot I putt left handed. Only trying this very recently and seems to have helped my lagging no ends.

Can't say ill stay this way long term though, just trying anything to get confidence going again.

Makes sense to me as I can control distance better when I putt left handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Russman

Makes sense to me as I can control distance better when I putt left handed.

I'd be inclined to go with whatever works for you, Op. The scorecard doesn't know how the number was arrived at.

I know one guy who putts the opposite to the way he plays, and he's probably the best putter I've ever seen, as it happens he's possibly the worst putter I've ever seen when he actually putts the way he plays. Strange but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Festinalente

Know a guy who carries a double sided putter, is right handed but will putt left or right handed depending how he sees the line - usually plays a right to left'er right and vice versa - plays off 12 and is very steady

Found this interesting web page http://www.magicputter.com/

Its an old design but interesting idea to switch sides to keep your feet on the low side of the hole.
    I'm away to buy one now...

I'll probably hold off for a while:)

Update bought a left hand Wilson 8885 semi mallet.
    Early days but already my iPing app says my putting is a lot more consistent compared with the right.

Advertisement