Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nervous first time driver, advice please.

Options
  • 10-06-2014 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi, I'm 21 and recently did my first driving lessons. Had no previous experience with I want/need to learn.
    I wasn't that nervous going but once I got into the car I sort of felt really nervous/scared. What really thrown me off was we were in a housing estate and it was raining/roads were wet/a lot of parked cars/few pedestrians.
    First of all we went going up and down through the gears. It went okay. Got confused a few times but that was to be expected.
    Then we started to do the take off and that went okay. I found the bitting point quickly enough and got moving.
    That's when I really started to to get nervous I was moving at a slow enough speed but I felt like I was going really fast even tough I was under 20 mph. Accelerating was difficult at times.
    There were cars parked on the road and I had to steer around them( I know that sounds stupid) but I found it hard to know how much to steer at times. When I did mild steering movement(around parked cars)I found it okay but I found when I was taking larger bends/turns I was very unsure about how much to steer and how to straighten the car /steering wheel when I was after turning right/left. A big part of the problem was I was gripping the wheel too tight and not feeding the wheel.
    At the end of the lesson, the instructor was nice but I don't think she realised how petrified I actually was. She recommended I come back for a two hour lesson the next time and I booked it. She says the two hours would really benefit me but being honest I don't know how I'll cope with it for two hours I was emotionally drained at the end of the lesson/felt physically sick.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Welcome!

First of all, all these feelings you are having a very normal. Housing estates can be very challenging places to drive at the best of times. My advice to you at this early stage is to just roll with it, and trust in your instructor. Not being too sure of how much to turn the wheel is a common thought that crosses peoples minds when learning to drive (I know it crossed mine!), but it's something that really requires little thought and comes quite naturally.

If you start to turn too much, then return the wheel towards the center (it will do this naturally even if you let go), and the opposite if not enough. Sorry for stating the obvious, but sometimes its good to read these things.

Relax, practice, and mention any of this to your instructor on your next lesson so he/she can focus a bit more on these points.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

In relation to your steering search "push pull steering" on YouTube and watch the video by 2passcouk it's a decent wee video

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

Stick with it, you will get there!
    Also, housing estates require better driving skill than big roads, so its good she is taking you there. So much harder as kids, balls, cars, bin collections etc.
    I do think 2 hours is too long though, 90 mins is the ideal drive time, after that, you are getting tired

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭newdriverlad

Thanks for the advice.
    I'll have a look those videos.
    I'm sort of a nervous person to begin with and I thought we would have being driving around a quite carpark at the begging but the hosing estate was a bit of a shock but I coped with it I suppose and practice is the only way I'm going to improve. Of course I made mistakes and I'm going to make more mistakes but that's all part of it.
    My siblings learnt to drive very fast and I know it might take me a little longer because I'm slow to get new things but I generally get them in the end.
    My two hour lesson is going to be with the women's husband(he meant to be very strict/snappy) (there both instructors)so I'm a bit worried about that. I have trouble when there is a lot of pressure on me.
    Is there anything you can do if your almost terrified in the lesson/thinking about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP - You are the paying customer here. You are the one in the driving seat. ( Pardon the pun.;) ) Some driving instructors adopt a "one size fits all" approach to teaching people how to drive. That may suit most of their pupils, but it won't suit everyone. Learning to drive is just like being back in school. Different people will learn different aspects of it, as a different rate.

Don't be afraid to speak up and talk to your instructor about this. If you would prefer to go to a quiet industrial estate after hours, or a car park, or tackle less challenging driving circumstances, then your instructor should respect that. If he doesn't, then find another instructor. Now that you are a grown up, you don't have to go thru life being terrified by a scary maths teacher who throws a wobbler if you don't get the Pythagorus theorum at the first go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Thundering_Sky

Don't worry every new driver is nervous and your instructor should understand and be used to this :) The most important thing is not to let the nerves get to you and deter you from practicing; honestly the more you practice the easier it will be and your nerves will fade.
    Housing estates are difficult to drive through aswell so don't be so hard on yourself, equally knowing how much to turn the wheel will come with practice.

If you can maybe practice with a family member throughout the week. You might feel less anxious driving with someone you know.
    Good Luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭newdriverlad

Thanks again.
    The people I'm going to for my lessons are meant to be brilliant.(lots of people I know passed with them) so, I'll try them a few more times and see how it goes.. Being honest I'd be nervous with any instructor.
    I'm planning on getting my own car later this month and insurance. So I'd be able to practice a lot more then and really get used to the feel of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Hi OP,
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 23 and finished all of my EDT lessons. Still very very nervous getting in the car. Some new drivers are like that. Don't be put off if others around you are learning faster either. You will get there. As I keep being told 'no-one is born with a drivers license, but some people ARE born more relaxed about the learning process involved in it'.

You'll find in the coming months that the main obstacle to learning is yourself. You have to try your level best to push past the anxiety and get in the car and practice, practice, practice. I am starting to ease up now (I used to be white-knuckled and glued to the steering wheel with the shock of it) but only after making myself go out and just do it.

As others have said, you are paying for your lessons. If you are not comfortable with starting off in housing estates, request to go elsewhere for the first while. But do try to let your instructor bring you out of your comfort zone after that. It gets better, trust me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Paddy Constable

Best of luck with the driving -every mew driver is nervous
    Practice makes perfect - stick with it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Newdriverlad, how did you get on.

Im starting my lessons in a months time and Id have the same hang ups as yourself. Im 29 though and feel much more nervous. Have tried to drive before with the aul lad once or twice around an industrial estate and found it nerve wrecking.

Hoping I do better in the actual lessons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Hi, I'm 21 and recently did my first driving lessons. Had no previous experience with I want/need to learn.
    I wasn't that nervous going but once I got into the car I sort of felt really nervous/scared. What really thrown me off was we were in a housing estate and it was raining/roads were wet/a lot of parked cars/few pedestrians.
    First of all we went going up and down through the gears. It went okay. Got confused a few times but that was to be expected.
    Then we started to do the take off and that went okay. I found the bitting point quickly enough and got moving.
    That's when I really started to to get nervous I was moving at a slow enough speed but I felt like I was going really fast even tough I was under 20 mph. Accelerating was difficult at times.
    There were cars parked on the road and I had to steer around them( I know that sounds stupid) but I found it hard to know how much to steer at times. When I did mild steering movement(around parked cars)I found it okay but I found when I was taking larger bends/turns I was very unsure about how much to steer and how to straighten the car /steering wheel when I was after turning right/left. A big part of the problem was I was gripping the wheel too tight and not feeding the wheel.
    At the end of the lesson, the instructor was nice but I don't think she realised how petrified I actually was. She recommended I come back for a two hour lesson the next time and I booked it. She says the two hours would really benefit me but being honest I don't know how I'll cope with it for two hours I was emotionally drained at the end of the lesson/felt physically sick.

when i am driving in housing estates i always try and stay out a little from parked cars in case a child or dog or something runs out. I only do that on straight parts of the road where i can c oncoming traffic. im driving a few years and i am always nervous in housing estates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Unless it's very basic controls handling there's no point in driving around in a wide open empty space like an industrial estate over the weekend. Once you have good basic mastery over the vehicle controls driving in normal and varied traffic circumstances is the only way to build experience. How much to move the wheel is not an exact science that requires measuring tapes or protractor, it's like cycling when you were a kid: look where you want to go and your hands will follow. As you gain experience you'll gain confidence.

Advertisement