Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travel system advice

Options
  • 10-06-2014 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just STARTING to think about researching for a travel system for bubs-to-be. Bit boggled by all the selection and interested to hear about the tried and tested, pro's and con's.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There are a few threads on it.
    You need to make a list of..

Where you will use it? (shops,walking,beach etc)
    Do you have a small boot?front door?etc
    Will you need to bring it on public transport?
    DO you intend to walk a lot with it?
    DO you plan to have a 2nd child very soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Moonbeam wrote: »
    There are a few threads on it.
    You need to make a list of..

Where you will use it? (shops,walking,beach etc)
    Do you have a small boot?front door?etc
    Will you need to bring it on public transport?
    DO you intend to walk a lot with it?
    DO you plan to have a 2nd child very soon?

1. all of those, live close to beach and a fave place
    2. nope, both of us have good size saloon cars. what size door is acceptable?? reckon we have a standard door :confused:
    3. can't see us using public transport as have cars
    4. yes, definitely.
    5. yes, all going well as time is not on my side, tick, tock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Do you have a budget in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

73trix wrote: »
    3. can't see us using public transport as have cars

Just on this, we have two cars as well but I'm not ruling out the need for public transport - when I'm sleep deprived and not feeling at all like myself I may not feel safe getting behind a wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Jerrica wrote: »
    Just on this, we have two cars as well but I'm not ruling out the need for public transport - when I'm sleep deprived and not feeling at all like myself I may not feel safe getting behind a wheel.

Good thinking there. I'd the loan of a car for a while but only drove it short distances, I was far more comfortable walking or getting public transport a lot of the time.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but anyone considering getting public transport with a buggy, it's very easy to get trains but buses are a problem. If there's already a wheelchair or a buggy on the bus, you'll need to fold the buggy up ... grand in theory, but in reality, I've never even attempted it - where do you put the small baby while folding the buggy, and lifting it up? My buggy is very easy to fold, but you still need two free hands to do it. What about the nappy bag, rain cover, etc? It's just more hassle than it's worth. I get the train all the time and I've never had to fold the buggy, just stick the brake on and he's grand, I can even give him his bottle without taking him out if necessary.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Maybe I should factor in an odd train ride to Dublin for the day trip! No buses then! :)

Do you have a budget in mind?

Not as such but don't want to spend stupid money either! From chatting to people , been advised of at least E600-E700 for a decent new system, so have that figure in my head but I wouldn't rule out second hand either. I wouldn't mind going new for 1st with a view to hopefully having a 2nd ( all things going well, of course) and being able to adapt it to double but open to all suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

This is my first pregnancy, I'm due Nov and hoping for a second baby soon after if all goes well. I've started looking too and it's overwhelming. I think u have it narrowed down to two - Phil and Ted snd city jogger select. Both concert to a double buggy easily enough and what I like is they both have a carry cot and the leg rest is adjustable which I think is nice, baby has to have comfort. I normally drive but would like to use the park and ride bus every now and then so I'm not sure these would fit. It's a tough decision .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Good thinking there. I'd the loan of a car for a while but only drove it short distances, I was far more comfortable walking or getting public transport a lot of the time.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but anyone considering getting public transport with a buggy, it's very easy to get trains but buses are a problem. If there's already a wheelchair or a buggy on the bus, you'll need to fold the buggy up ... grand in theory, but in reality, I've never even attempted it - where do you put the small baby while folding the buggy, and lifting it up? My buggy is very easy to fold, but you still need two free hands to do it. What about the nappy bag, rain cover, etc? It's just more hassle than it's worth. I get the train all the time and I've never had to fold the buggy, just stick the brake on and he's grand, I can even give him his bottle without taking him out if necessary.

I got the bus wearing him in a sling, with a backpack-style change bag. He loved it, even if I did get some funny looks!

Alternatively, you could splash out on this.... but if you could buy one of these you wouldn't be getting the bus!! I'm TOTALLY buying this buggy when I win d'lotto!! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Have a look at the single out n about nipper. It is light,not too expensive and great for walking.
    Alot of mammies at the play school love the city wheels buggies and some have the double and single versions!
    The mountain buggies are also fantastic but expensive.
    I had a maxi cosi mura and it was brilliant.

I would go for air filled tyres for walking and the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

73trix wrote: »
    Hi,

Just STARTING to think about researching for a travel system for bubs-to-be. Bit boggled by all the selection and interested to hear about the tried and tested, pro's and con's.

Many thanks.

I have a bugaboo cameleon and love it! Really big pram which we are still using and baby is 5 months old! Super easy to push too. I spent months researching travel systems. It is on the pricey side though but IMHO it's worth every penny. I hear the baby elegance beep twist is meant to be good value for the price €400. If I was to get a double I would get a double when the time comes and I think something like the baby jogger city mini double or the out n about 360 nipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I am not an expert on doubles but i think something to consider is the boot space. Would the city select double not take up a lot of space (in double mode) And also be super heavy? And be a pain to put up and down with 2 kids who are going mad? I couldn't imagine trying to manoeuvre it around the shops! I know if you have twins it would be good for the prams as would icandy. I don't think I have ever seen a toddler and a baby in one. On the otherhand I see so many side by side doubles, there is also a phil and teds.

The out n about nipper is great that way it takes no time to put up:) and about 30 seconds to fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

I have a city select with a toddler and baby. I love it, not too big or too heavy. I've been using it now for nearly 3 years. I currently have no2 and no3 on it. It has carried the 3 of them on many occasions.

It is actually super easy to put up and down and only takes the same amount of boot space my bugaboo did.

I would 110%recommend it. As it converts so easy from double to single mode there is no need for 2 buggies.

nikpmup wrote: »
    I got the bus wearing him in a sling, with a backpack-style change bag. He loved it, even if I did get some funny looks!

Alternatively, you could splash out on this.... but if you could buy one of these you wouldn't be getting the bus!! I'm TOTALLY buying this buggy when I win d'lotto!! :D

http://www.mothercare.ie/4moms-origami-stroller.html sure tis half price ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I bought the Phil and Teds Navigator buggy. The baby fair had an offer where they threw in the double raincover and double seat for the cost of the single. You can take the back double seat off and have it as a single. The one feature I love is that it has the push down break at the handlebar, so if you let go of the buggy on a hill, it automatically stops. My sister in law's son will be 7 months when our little guy is born, so I figured the double seat would be good if we are minding both or if my MIL has both. Cons are that it's not sold as a travel system (car seat / carrycot and/or cocoon) parts must be purchased separately, however, can be fit to the buggy but must be particular brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Moonbeam wrote: »

And out of stock!! I already enquired ;)

Advertisement