Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help broadband!!!

Options
  • 10-06-2014 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

hi all
    my self and my wife are at wits end with 3. we are living a small cottage and have limited three mobile broadband signal. no other broadband company can supply with signal bar satelite but not willing to experience this. we have the hawei small mobile broad band router as close as we can to best signal in house(upstairs near velux). three sent out a wireless booster to try get signal down stairs to boost it. this unit is placed upstairs near the router. between upstairs nad down to living room the signal pales away to a mear trickle. my wife has facility to work from home but with bad broadband she cant avail of facility fully.
    would any one have advice to get signal down stairs or is there and technition on the forum who would call out and set up a proper wireless broadband system for me. really at withs end with this i have NO knowledge of routers wireless and all rest of the lingo so i will be of no help if it get technical. i am in cork close to city if any one can assist or any advice on here toa product i can buy and set up down stairs to help. i have had 5 provuiders out to try see about broadband but three are only supplier in my area.
    kindest regards
    paddy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Check the router sticky thread in this forum.

As you are on the NBS (only way you'd get a booster) keep pushing 3 and try and get the satellite option from them, but at this late stage (NBS ends August this year) I doubt you stand any chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭paddym3

i ma sick of ringng them to come and set up or try do some thing but the lads in india not pushed in sending out some one to sort it. i will check the router section but t b ehonest i wouldnt know sweet nothing about them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

What device did you get from 3? If its one with Ethernet ports (B683) then just try plugging in a long cat5 cable, obviously not as convenient as a Wireless connection but much more reliable, you can get made up 30m cables. Now if that works you can then get a wireless access point and plug that on the end of the cable and place it where it will give you a signal where required downstairs.

Another "simple" option is to use a WiFi repeater plugged in somewhere between the router set up in its optimal location and the users PC.

From what you are saying it doesn't sound like you have the "booster" set up correctly. The booster goes where the best signal is so it relays the boosted signal to you MBB device downstairs.

BUT tbh if you have any Mobile Broadband connection especially one through 3 you can not rely on it for working from home. Only thing 3 is good at is promises.

Advertisement