Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Runner Query

Options
  • 10-06-2014 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi, just looking for some advice. I started running the end of Feb. I am currently running about 3 times per week, my average being approx 3 miles and my longest run is up to 5.5 miles. I started off very cautiously, I was very wary not to get injured but the past few weeks I seem to be suffering from what I think is shin splints? I run every second day and lately I really need the day in between for the vague residual pain to go. I am able to run fine, when i start running the pain is there a little bit, it eases off as the run progresses but once I stop it can be very sore. I am currently icing when I get back from the run but i dont know is this enough.

I went for gait analysis before i started, was told I have no foot issues but just that extra cushioning would be needed,got the recommended runners and so far i think i have been doing everything by the book. I would have about 3 st to lose. I am 33, female and currently running on country roads. Any advice, hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. I am signed up for a 10k in 2 weeks and really want to be ready for it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

Where are you based as someone will be able to recommend a good physio in your area. Medical advise is not allowed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭chicken foot

Hi Rom, I'm in west galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

There was once a definitive shin splints thread here but danged if I can find it. Not giving medical advice CF but you're doing the right thing - rest and ice as best you can. It should ease & disappear in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭whelzer

Hey OP - in a similar vein to yourself - I started running around end of Feb and would have had awful shin splints - still do if I do not follow the following religiously 1) do a full and proper warmup, 10 minutes at least, 2) do a proper warm down inc stretches. The odd time I will skip the warmup and will be in agony the following day. I have found two things help here a foam roller and compression socks. These I wear for 2-3 hours after a run. Like yourself I'm running 3 times a week so that allows plenty of rest in between... Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Advertisement
Advertisement