Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 stroke Lawnmower wont start.

Options
  • 10-06-2014 6:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, maybe I should post this in the gardening forums but I reckon I'll get a better response here.

I have what I believe to be a four stroke lawn mower that will not longer start.

I think it's a four stroke because it uses a plain petrol and has a separate tank for the oil.

I used it only twice and it started up easily both times.

I wanted to clean the underside of it so I lifted it up from the back and stood it up on it's two front wheels.

I then discovered that you're not supposed to tilt this model up from the back.

When I started the mower for the third time it was a little harder to get going but after a few attempts, it started up.
    It gave out a small plume of black smoke and ran perfectly for the 10 or so minutes It took me to mow the lawn.

Grand I thought, no worries, I didn't do any damage.

Now the mower won't start at all. I doesn't even turn over when I pull the started cable.

Have I knackered the machine?
    Is there a fix or could this be unrelated to my tipping it up?

ps. there's a small rubber dome pump on the side with instructions to pump it 5 times before starting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

CrinkElite wrote: »
    Hi folks, maybe I should post this in the gardening forums but I reckon I'll get a better response here.

I have what I believe to be a four stroke lawn mower that will not longer start.

I think it's a four stroke because it uses a plain petrol and has a separate tank for the oil.

I used it only twice and it started up easily both times.

I wanted to clean the underside of it so I lifted it up from the back and stood it up on it's two front wheels.

I then discovered that you're not supposed to tilt this model up from the back.

When I started the mower for the third time it was a little harder to get going but after a few attempts, it started up.
    It gave out a small plume of black smoke and ran perfectly for the 10 or so minutes It took me to mow the lawn.

Grand I thought, no worries, I didn't do any damage.

Now the mower won't start at all. I doesn't even turn over when I pull the started cable.

Have I knackered the machine?
    Is there a fix or could this be unrelated to my tipping it up?

ps. there's a small rubber dome pump on the side with instructions to pump it 5 times before starting.

Change the petrol and spark plug and check air filter is clean

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭blackbox

When you say it won't turn over when you pull the starter cable, do you mean that the cable won't budge or that it moves but doesn't appear to be connected to the engine?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

It moves and behaves as normal but the engine doesn't kick at all.
    There's no sign life whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭homingbird

Check the coil if it a old lawnmower by removing the spark plug from the mower leave it connected to the coil let the sparkplug touch the mower & see if it sparks when you pull the cord.THIS MIGHT Help.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckyFlX4CUVU

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

visual wrote: »
    Change the petrol and spark plug and check air filter is clean

This, and maybe get someone to clean the carburetor if still unsuccessful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Take out the spark plug and with a vice grips hold it over a gas flame (cooker is grand) until it gets hot and put it in the mower while its still hot and give her a pull. It worked for me....before I bought a new spark plug and did not need to do it anymore.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Had a fiddle with the spark plug and it started up no problems.
    That's a relief, the lawn was going feral.

Thanks for the help lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,136 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Had a fiddle...
    Never tilt the model up from the back before reading the manual.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Had a fiddle with the spark plug and it started up no problems.
    That's a relief, the lawn was going feral.

Thanks for the help lads.

Maybe get new sparkplug in diy shop, they usually not too expensive (dont forget bring your old one, just make sure youl get right size ) .

Myself was fixing lately two same type lawnmowers ( my own and girlfriends ) , both had seized accelerator lines ( got them for 3 € each ( but i have to fit them) in bicycle shop compare to prices in lawnmower shops - 25 € each (fitted, without option fit myself ) !!!!! ) and my own had bad sparkplug, after replacing went fine . ehh .. lawnmower time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Change the shíte steel plug cap.
    They give trouble on the B+S mowers.
    I usually use NGK plugs exclusively but the B+S actually run OK on Champion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement