Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Aiken's Village owners?

Options
  • 10-06-2014 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Hi...
    I was wondering if there are any other Aiken's Village owners out there who want to discuss the increase in maintenance fees?

Basically, at the AGM in March of this year it was decided to increase the fees. The management company then issued their maintenance charge statements to everyone, which backdates the increase to January 2014.

I personally have a huge issue with this. I think that as the increase wasn't approved, or even discussed until March, the 'old' rate should apply until then and then the 'new' increased rate should apply thereafter from mid-March until December 2014.

I contacted the agency and the woman on the other end of the line just kept repeating that the increased rates were for the budgeted 2014 year, which runs from January to December.

I find it hard to swallow that increased rates can be retrospectively applied.

I would contact people/owners myself except I don't live in Dublin. Funnily enough, when I made a query about the fees and asked them to email me a breakdown, I ended up receiving a spreadsheet of every single person who owns in Aiken's Village with their home addresses and amounts owed on their accounts! Data protection clearly doesn't exist!

Any thoughts on the issue regarding retrospective charging of fees?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The financial year is from January to December 2014. It is not necessary to have the 2014 fee decided before the commencement of the year.
    It was decided by the shareholders at the A.G.M. and that is the decision making forum.

You should have got the financial statements before the A.G.M. which would include the breakdown on expenditure. You certainly should not have got the personal financial status of individual owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    It is not necessary to have the 2014 fee decided before the commencement of the year.

You may have a point from an accountancy point of view but it is not just and fair to expect people to pay retrospective fees. Paying the 'old' rate from January to mid-March (time of the AGM when increase was decided) and the new rate from then until Dec 2014 would be reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You may have a point from an accountancy point of view but it is not just and fair to expect people to pay retrospective fees. Paying the 'old' rate from January to mid-March (time of the AGM when increase was decided) and the new rate from then until Dec 2014 would be reasonable.

Fees are calculated as a percentage of the budget, the budget needed to keep the development running so the "old rate " can't be enough. Having said that I thought all budgets and fees had to be agreed at an AGM before the start of the financial year since the MUD bill became law? I know we've moved our AGM month to facilitate that.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Fees are calculated as a percentage of the budget, the budget needed to keep the development running so the "old rate " can't be enough. Having said that I thought all budgets and fees had to be agreed at an AGM before the start of the financial year since the MUD bill became law? I know we've moved our AGM month to facilitate that.

Thanks. Is there another name on the MUD bill? I can't find anything on google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thanks. Is there another name on the MUD bill? I can't find anything on google.

Multi unit development act

• Advertisement

I had a look at the MUD Act, 2011. And Section 18 states that the meeting should be held at a reasonable time. The end of Q1 of a financial year is not a reasonable time!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 maglez81

Hi...
    I was wondering if there are any other Aiken's Village owners out there who want to discuss the increase in maintenance fees?

Basically, at the AGM in March of this year it was decided to increase the fees. The management company then issued their maintenance charge statements to everyone, which backdates the increase to January 2014.

I personally have a huge issue with this. I think that as the increase wasn't approved, or even discussed until March, the 'old' rate should apply until then and then the 'new' increased rate should apply thereafter from mid-March until December 2014.

I contacted the agency and the woman on the other end of the line just kept repeating that the increased rates were for the budgeted 2014 year, which runs from January to December.

I find it hard to swallow that increased rates can be retrospectively applied.

I would contact people/owners myself except I don't live in Dublin. Funnily enough, when I made a query about the fees and asked them to email me a breakdown, I ended up receiving a spreadsheet of every single person who owns in Aiken's Village with their home addresses and amounts owed on their accounts! Data protection clearly doesn't exist!

Any thoughts on the issue regarding retrospective charging of fees?

I would like to know the AGM for Aikens Village, can you give me this information please?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

maglez81 wrote: »
    I would like to know the AGM for Aikens Village, can you give me this information please?

You are not entitled to this as not everything is publicly available. You've been told to go to the CRO website to get the financials.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement