Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childhood Asthma - PDF medical

Options
  • 10-06-2014 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

My son has applied to the PDF and is going for his medical. He had asthma as a child until 11 years of age - he is now 18.
    He has not had an attack or any medication in the last 7 years.

Could anyone please tell me if this will be a problem?

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Yup, if it's on his medical files with his GP, it will probably be uncovered, and he won't get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭TheStig13

Kirm2 wrote: »
    My son has applied to the PDF and is going for his medical. He had asthma as a child until 11 years of age - he is now 18.

Thank you
    When did he get word about his medical and when is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Ben1994

If he hasnt had one in years dont mention it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Lots of people have childhood asthma..and most peoole grow out of it.

Unless you're subject to constant debilitationg attacks and need lifelong medical treatment you should be okay as ong as your fitness is up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭bikerjohn

discus wrote: »
    Yup, if it's on his medical files with his GP, it will probably be uncovered, and he won't get in.
    [[im someone with thirty three years service with the permanent defense forces and you talk utter shiite :p

• Advertisement

bikerjohn wrote: »
    [[im someone with thirty three years service with the permanent defense forces and you talk utter shiite :p

I presume none of your 33 years were in the med corp, based on your ****e knowledge of the PDF recruitment medical criteria
    :P:P:P:P
    :P:P:P
    :P:P
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Not only is Discus correct, but failure to disclose any long-term condition like this one, and its subsequent discovery, will land your boy in a world of nasty shouting.

Not sure of the actual wording, but it's usually something along the lines of 'have you ever suffered any debilitating or life-threatening illness or condition for which you have have had long-term medical support in the form of medication or other forms of treatment?'

Included in the list of things are not required if you want to serve in the PDF are - Diabetes [by type],Epilepsy, Asthma, Crohn's/Coeliac Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, Hepatitis [A/B], Herpes Simplex [Shingles], Colour Blindness, Migraine, Plantar Fasciitis, Hernia [of any kind], HIV, and so on.

Basically, those folks with an already built-in amount of physical damage are on a loser - there are plenty of applicants who not only have all their component parts in exemplary working order, but also possess the ability to amply demonstrate them in a medical test .

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've 30yrs service too, and Discus is wrong.

Your family GP records are not passed onto the DF, neither are your civilian hospital appointments or admissions unless you're referred to a civilian hospital from the AMC.

Many serving members attend their family GP instead of using the services of the AMC.

Hmm, got it wrong then.

So basically, you are saying that you can conceal a potentially life-threatening illness or condition from a recruiting board and get away with it?

A-mazing.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Hmm, got it wrong then.

So basically, you are saying that you can conceal a potentially life-threatening illness or condition from a recruiting board and get away with it?

A-mazing.

tac

Well the medical is fairly detailed, if you get something through its not life threatening IMO.

• Advertisement

Well the medical is fairly detailed, if you get something through its not life threatening IMO.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. So you'd happily share a trench/tank/MICV/mortar with a person who, under stress, can't breathe. Should I mention MOPS? Hard enough to breathe in any case.

That's just dandy.

Anyhow, the OP's mom seems happy to go along the 'DODT' line, so who am I to get all concerned? Just that I never came across an asthmatic in all my service time.

Guess things really have changed since I left.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. So you'd happily share a trench/tank/MICV/mortar with a person who, under stress, can't breathe. Should I mention MOPS? Hard enough to breathe in any case.

That's just dandy.

Anyhow, the OP's mom seems happy to go along the 'DODT' line, so who am I to get all concerned? Just that I never came across an asthmatic in all my service time.

Guess things really have changed since I left.

tac

I really take offense at your comment.

As stated my son HAD asthma as a child but does NOT have it any longer and had not for years. Our doctor was very happy to provide a letter stating that he is no longer an asthmatic. I also had asthma as a child and can safely say that I have not ever had a reoccurrence up to this point in my life.

I think it's idiotic for anyone CURRENTLY an asthmatic to hide such information as it most certainly puts their own life as well as the lives of all around them in danger in such a circumstance.

Furthermore, in December 2013 the then Minister for Defence Alan Shatter gave an undertaking in the Dail that a declaration of childhood asthma would not be a disqualifying factor but each case would be judged on its merits.

I can't post the link here, the system won't let me but if you Google "minister for defence childhood asthma" it will come up.

I really take offense at your comment.
    I can't post the link here, the system won't let me but if you Google "minister for defence childhood asthma" it will come up.

Madame, I apologise for causing you offense. Times change, it seems, and I was in a different army, where things are not as they are in yours, that's for sure.

The ignore button is there for you to use.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

Madame, I apologise for causing you offense. Times change, it seems, and I was in a different army, where things are not as they are in yours, that's for sure.

The ignore button is there for you to use.

tac

Apology accepted Monsieur and I won't be ignoring you, life is waaaaaay too short!! 😊

Your family GP records are not passed onto the DF, neither are your civilian hospital appointments or admissions unless you're referred to a civilian hospital from the AMC.

Many serving members attend their family GP instead of using the services of the AMC.

Serious? I remember being asked if I had childhood asthma at the medical in Bricins, and if it was a YES answer, I was given forms for my GP to fill in. Didn't need to look at the forms 'cause I failed the colour vision test anyway. But I suppose if you just answer no, you are safe so!

Slightly OT, but a pal of mine - now gone, sad to say - astounded the medical board when he joined up by producing a photograph of him lying dead at the side of a swimming pool in London at age ten. He had spent almost five minutes under water after hitting his head, and was clinically dead until another lifeguard came along and gave him the KoL, just to go 'through the motions'. He made a full recovery and went on to become a doctor in the RN.

He was one seriously-fit cookie until a drunken car-driver on the wrong side of the road hit him back in 2004, killing him instantly.

His wfe survived but is a wheelchair user.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

bikerjohn wrote: »

I hate to disagree with such Auld Sweats, but as anyone who has recently (last 3-4 years) done a medical will tell you, when you fill out the multi-page questionnaire before seeing the MO, you are signing to agree to allow the DMC or his agent, to access any medical files your family doctor may have on you. Whether they chose to do so is up for question, but should suspicion arise you can be damn sure you will be found out once they start digging

SIRREX wrote: »
    I hate to disagree with such Auld Sweats, but as anyone who has recently (last 3-4 years) done a medical will tell you, when you fill out the multi-page questionnaire before seeing the MO, you are signing to agree to allow the DMC or his agent, to access any medical files your family doctor may have on you. Whether they chose to do so is up for question, but should suspicion arise you can be damn sure you will be found out once they start digging

Bullsh*t.. Your medical records (with your family GP) are completely confidential from view by third parties.. Jeeze I won't miss ball hops when I retire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I never noticed that on my last medical. Just concentrated on ticking "no" 60 times instead of actually reading it.

Il check tomorrow as it's annoying me now.

I never noticed that on my last medical. Just concentrated on ticking "no" 60 times instead of actually reading it.

Il check tomorrow as it's annoying me now.

The only time your health care providers are allowed divulge information is if you voice a threat to harm yourself or someone else.

Outside of that you'd have to give your GP your express permission to give your files to someone else, including the AMC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

The only time your health care providers are allowed divulge information is if you voice a threat to harm yourself or someone else.

Outside of that you'd have to give your GP your express permission to give your files to someone else, including the AMC.

Yeah I'm of the same opinion. I'd just be interested what the actual declaration sheet states.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You're giving the army permission to contact your GP with any enquiries they might have. That doesn't oblige your GP to cooperate however, only allows the army to communicate with them on matters which concern them. It's an entirely one way system. GPs are extremely tight with their patients' records. I know from being involved with another area where you're required to give the Gardai permission to contact your GP for the same reason that the GPs will not play ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

To all those who call Bullsh*t, I advise you to read the form the next time, or call into the MAP. You are not giving just anyone permission to access your records, you are giving permission to a healthcare professional, the same as if you changed family doctors. By signing the form you are giving express permission.

Makikomi, if you've been signing Army forms without reading them I'd suggest the time for retirement has arrived:p

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kcdc13

Thank you

Anyway did your son pass? Cause i have asthma.. or had. Havent had it in years aswell.

Advertisement