Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with getting the course I want

Options
  • 10-06-2014 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Sorry if this is the wrong board (I'm not sure where to post), but I just want any advice with regards to what options I have.

Very recently (in the past month) I've realised that what I want to study the most is mathematics. Studying it for the LC made me realise how interesting I actually found it, so I changed my top course options to be Maths in Trinity and Maths in DIT.Unfortunately, I know well that I won't be getting anything above 400, and with the Trinity course being 535, its unlikely I'll be offered a place. However, with the DIT course being 260-80 points, I will most likely end up in their this coming September.

My question is: is it worth it to take a year out and do a PLC (which I've already been offered a place in) or repeat my leaving cert to eventually lead on to me doing Mathematics in Trinity? Unfortunately my prospectus says that a FETAC Level 5 course won't help with Maths. So what are my options from here if I want to go to Trinity next year? Is my only option to repeat the leaving cert?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ELynch96

If you applied for hear you could get a points deduction ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 a little sliceof lemon

I have applied for the HEAR, but I highly doubt they'll bump points down my points requirements by 135 points. Thats assuming that I get 400 points as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Is there a particular reason why you're so fixed on going to Trinity?

This is going to sound kinda high brow, but I decided I want my education the best I can achieve. So I decided Trinity is where I will aim for

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I don't mean to be rude but if that's the case then you should have put more work into your LC.

If you value going to TCD so much your best option would be to repeat it and get the points. As it stands what makes you entitled to "the best education" if you don't prove that you're able for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

If you're not totally fixated on Trinity, Arts in UCD is 335, and last time I checked you could do maths through arts. Maths options in the other universities (and the omnibus science entry in UCD) are all 500+. That said, if you're actually capable of 500+, and are satisfied you know what you want to do, yes it's worth repeating.
    This is going to sound kinda high brow, but I decided I want my education the best I can achieve. So I decided Trinity is where I will aim for
    By the way, Dostoyevsky is highbrow. You mean snobbish, and you're actually coming across as arrogant.

You're not being rude, I fully agree. I was lazy with my LC up until a few weeks ago. Only recently did I decide that I actually want to start making a decent future for myself. I'm just asking if repeating is my only option.
    Thanks anyway

@mikhail
    I looked into UCD, but it's too far out of the way in terms of transport. So far repeating seems to be my only option
    Well, sorry for my snobbishness, and arrogance

EDIT: Again, I know there is a strong sense of people thinking TCD to be the best college to be assholes, but I promise you I don't look down on other people in other colleges or anything. I'm just trying to get to do the best with my circumstances

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I don't mean to be rude but if that's the case then you should have put more work into your LC.
    While I take your point, it's often only when people identify a goal which interests them that they focus and get stuck in.

By the sounds of the OP, this may have happened a little late in the year for her.
    mikhail wrote: »
    ... and you're actually coming across as arrogant.
    That's a tad OTT, don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭derb12

@mikhail
    I looked into UCD, but it's too far out of the way in terms of transport. So far repeating seems to be my only option

Ucd is just down the road from trinity with great public transport links ... What does an extra few kms to cycle or an extra bus matter in the long term as long as you are in the right course.
    I think you have your priorities all wrong to be honest and now is the wrong time to be fretting over these decisions.
    Get the head in the books, study smart and do the best you can from where you are now. There is plenty of time for rejigging CAO options after next week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement