Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting old laptop to Linux Media Centre

Options
  • 10-06-2014 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I have an old HP Media Laptop that I am planning on changing over to a Linux Media Centre. Is there any particular Linux Distro that ye would recomend to do this job for me? I have come accross 5 in particular that seem to be pretty good but would like to get any infromation the community could offer on the subject.

The distros I am looking at at ar XBMC Live, Mythbuntu, Element, GeeXboX and Boxee.

The laptop itself is a HP Pavillion D9700. The screen is broken on it and I sent away for repair but was told it was not worth fixing, but the TV out port works fine and am currently running Vista on it and using it for streaming but kind of like the idea of putting Linux on it to increase what I can do with it. I have an RF keyboard and mouse attached to it.

Thank you folks for any help, information or advice you can offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I'd probably go with xbmcbuntu myself. Mainly because I like the fact that it has a ubuntu base so its handy if you want to install something from the ubuntu repos.
    After that I'd have a look at openelec, never ran it on a full computer myself, but it is meant to be pretty light so it should be worth a look.
    Wouldn't bother with mythbuntu, even if you specifically wanted mythtv, I'd consider xbmc better as a frontend, so it is easier to simply install mythtv after the fact. Element has been discontinued, so that is out too.
    Never used geexbox, so I don't know about that one.
    A lot of people really like boxee, but not a huge fan myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Theres also a ubuntustudio edition could be worth looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Openelec would be my choice ..... it runs as a liveOS from RAM and uses about 250MB normally.

Lots of plugins etc for extras.

XBMCHub install on XBMC brings in a lot of choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭PopIT

Thank you all. I already have Ubuntu running on a desktop so would be familiar with that. Sure I ciuld always put one on and try it out and if I did not like it try another. Have a lot more options to look at now thanks to ye all.

PopIT wrote: »
    Thank you all. I already have Ubuntu running on a desktop so would be familiar with that. Sure I ciuld always put one on and try it out and if I did not like it try another. Have a lot more options to look at now thanks to ye all.

It is very easy to dual boot Openelec with another OS ...... so that might be an option ..... as the Openelec OS files are so small.
    All you need after that is space for the data related to your use ...... configs, art, plugins etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

If it's an old laptop, just make sure the video capabilities are good enough for modern HD Streaming and/or HD Video playing from a hard drive or NAS - I use an old Acer Laptop for the same thing, it sits under my TV and makes it a "smart TV", I use Linux Mint for all but when I need Sky Go or Netflix, at those times I use XP.

But sometimes after prolonged watching of Netflix, Sky or even normal movies/TV Shows that have been downloaded in HD the computer starts to struggle and the streams get choppy/laggy and eventually the machine just shuts off.

If it's an old laptop, just make sure the video capabilities are good enough for modern HD Streaming and/or HD Video playing from a hard drive or NAS - I use an old Acer Laptop for the same thing, it sits under my TV and makes it a "smart TV", I use Linux Mint for all but when I need Sky Go or Netflix, at those times I use XP.

But sometimes after prolonged watching of Netflix, Sky or even normal movies/TV Shows that have been downloaded in HD the computer starts to struggle and the streams get choppy/laggy and eventually the machine just shuts off.

That sounds like a heat problem ;)

That sounds like a heat problem ;)

yeah, it is, and I've tried everything to rectify it, but the processor or something is just being overworked.

yeah, it is, and I've tried everything to rectify it, but the processor or something is just being overworked.

Possibly the heatsink needs to be removed, cleaned and replaced with fresh paste (Artic Silver or similar) and maybe even needs a laptop cooling tray to increase air-flow around it ....

Possibly the heatsink needs to be removed, cleaned and replaced with fresh paste (Artic Silver or similar) and maybe even needs a laptop cooling tray to increase air-flow around it ....

Is that one of the trays with fans under it - I have one of them running at the moment.

Must look into the heatsink thing actually. Cheers.

Where would be best to get the Thermal Paste?

• Advertisement

Is that one of the trays with fans under it - I have one of them running at the moment.

Must look into the heatsink thing actually. Cheers.

Where would be best to get the Thermal Paste?

Laptop heatsinks need regular cleaning which means opening up the laptop ....... there are usually instruction videos on youtube for whichever model you have.

Most outlets that sell CPUs will also sell thermal paste.
    You need VERY little paste per application, so the smallest tube is likely to last you a long long time.

No bother opening it, sure I've taken the screen off it, stuck in an SSD, extra RAM, replaced the keyboard.

She's a sturdy aul yoke I have to say - on more than one occasion there's been coke inside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

on more than one occasion there's been coke inside it.

so thats how theyre importing it!! :D

Advertisement