Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mark English splits with coach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

pconn062 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/mark-english-looking-for-new-coach-after-amicable-split-with-mcdaid-30341026.html

He has left McDaid, it was an amicable decision apparently. Timing seems a little unusual, this close to the Europeans and all. Wonder who will he be seeking to take over?

Very very odd timing indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Very very odd timing indeed.

Any inside scoops with your media contacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

pconn062 wrote: »
    Any inside scoops with your media contacts?

This is the first I have heard of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Logistically I can see the reasoning given his college commitments in Dublin coupled with summer race season travel. I wouldn't worry about the timing as Mark has a good head on his shoulders and a setup around him over the last number of years that I would be surprised if this transition period dramatically changes his performances.

"I need to make sure that I find a coach who understands the principle I'm coming from on the speed side of it"

This for me is the most telling point. I think this phrase dramatically narrows the field with regards Irish coaches and think there are probably less than a handful of Irish coaches who would be in the running and most likely will look abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I watched this post-race interview with him from Oordegem last week, and thought the bit at the end about his coaching situation sounded a bit odd, but I hadn't realised it was news. Seems the Indo were a bit late to the jump!

ecoli wrote: »

"I need to make sure that I find a coach who understands the principle I'm coming from on the speed side of it"

This for me is the most telling point. I think this phrase dramatically narrows the field with regards Irish coaches and think there are probably less than a handful of Irish coaches who would be in the running and most likely will look abroad.

I think you're completely right Luke. He is very much a speed-based guy, and I have read 2 or 3 interviews with him where he specifically mentions that he really hates running loads of miles. That wouldn't fit in with the approach of many middle-distance coaches in Ireland so I would think that you're probably right in that he'll most likely have to look abroad, although how that will fit in with his studies is another issue.

As a separate point, if he does manage to meet his target of being a 1:43.xx guy by summer's end, would he be able to continue progressing from there while trying to juggle training with studying once September rolls around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

As a separate point, if he does manage to meet his target of being a 1:43.xx guy by summer's end, would he be able to continue progressing from there while trying to juggle training with studying once September rolls around?

If he has a good summer, I would not be surprised if he took some time off to concentrate on athletics as Paul Hession did at a similar stage.

Advertisement