Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bee Hive in Compost

Options
  • 10-06-2014 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a bee hive (not wasps) in my compost bin (lidl one), should I just leave them be or should I try and get rid?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Leave them be or if you want them removed, contact a bee keeper to take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Alias G

Definitely leave them be unless someone in your family has an allergy. I presume you would like them to help pollinate your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Thanks guys,

Leave them bee :) was what I was thinking too

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

if you wat rid of them there are loads of lads around the country that go mad for them i thik a hive is about 100e aroud my way

• Site Banned Posts: 31 bumblebee2

vinnie13 wrote: »
    if you wat rid of them there are loads of lads around the country that go mad for them i thik a hive is about 100e aroud my way
    Beehives are more than 100 euro,unless they are 2nd hand hives.Sure my 2 cedar bee hives were 280 euro each.

• Advertisement

I would leave the bees alone to nest in the compost.They will then do wonders for your garden and flowers.

I am going to leave them alone

bumblebee2 wrote: »
    Beehives are more than 100 euro,unless they are 2nd hand hives.Sure my 2 cedar bee hives were 280 euro each.

What's a second hand hive?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

i think bumblebee has a bee i his bonnet about something.everything i commented on in the last 20 min he has followed suit with opposit answers

iba wrote: »
    What's a second hand hive?
    A used commercial or national beehive that is surplus to requirements by a beekeeper or land owner.They pop up for sale 2nd hand on a regular basis.

• Advertisement

vinnie13 wrote: »
    i think bumblebee has a bee i his bonnet about something.everything i commented on in the last 20 min he has followed suit with opposit answers

Not at all my friend.I merely replied to 2 posts of yours,thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

A used commercial or national beehive that is surplus to requirements by a beekeeper or land owner.They pop up for sale 2nd hand on a regular basis.

You have to watch out for disease's though with second hand stuff. Unless you personally know the beekeeper and trust them, i would be very wary of getting any second hand hives, unless of course they come with the bees, but even that, i would do a complete inspection to make sure they were ok.

As for leaving them where the are, thats perfectly fine as long as they arnt aggressive. I had a swarm land in an old nuc (baby hive) last Wednesday and they are really docile and quiet. I was even out in the back this morning doing a bit of DIY about 4 feet from the hive and they never bothered me. Its when they start to to get aggressive and coming for ya they become a problem.

SC Kevin wrote: »
    You have to watch out for disease's though with second hand stuff. Unless you personally know the beekeeper and trust them, i would be very wary of getting any second hand hives, unless of course they come with the bees, but even that, i would do a complete inspection to make sure they were ok.

As for leaving them where the are, thats perfectly fine as long as they arnt aggressive. I had a swarm land in an old nuc (baby hive) last Wednesday and they are really docile and quiet. I was even out in the back this morning doing a bit of DIY about 4 feet from the hive and they never bothered me. Its when they start to to get aggressive and coming for ya they become a problem.
    I bought my 2 cedar hives new and got the nucs from a well known and well respected beekeeper.He places beehives out on the local farmers land each year for crop pollination so hes a well respected beekeeper,hes doing it more than 30 years now at this stage and enteres his honey into the Dublin Bee and Honey festival out in Rathgar each year.The Botanic Gardens had a problem last year when one of the beehives swarmed and got rather aggressive,so they had to be removed.I was there on the day in question and by god it was crazy to witness.I think that the OPW gardeners in Ashtown Gardens in Phoenix Park also had a problem with their bees swarming last year too,and they had to remove them.But they are back to normal now and as far as I know they have 5 hives there now,and also the beehives in the Aras gardens too.
    I just hope that Michael D Higgins likes his bees.LOL.

I bought my 2 cedar hives new and got the nucs from a well known and well respected beekeeper.He places beehives out on the local farmers land each year for crop pollination so hes a well respected beekeeper,hes doing it more than 30 years now at this stage and enteres his honey into the Dublin Bee and Honey festival out in Rathgar each year.The Botanic Gardens had a problem last year when one of the beehives swarmed and got rather aggressive,so they had to be removed.I was there on the day in question and by god it was crazy to witness.I think that the OPW gardeners in Ashtown Gardens in Phoenix Park also had a problem with their bees swarming last year too,and they had to remove them.But they are back to normal now and as far as I know they have 5 hives there now,and also the beehives in the Aras gardens too.
    I just hope that Michael D Higgins likes his bees.LOL.

HAHA, sure he could have a chat with them, he is about their size anyway! :D

The hives are back in the botanic gardens as well, im an admin of a facebook group for beekeepers and one of the members was there the other day when the queen came out of the hive and he filmed her with some of the workers. Id say she tried to swarm but he wing is clipped. She was marked white so a 2011 queen.

Whats the beekeepers first name you got the cedar hives off of, i probably know him! :)

SC Kevin wrote: »
    HAHA, sure he could have a chat with them, he is about their size anyway! :D

The hives are back in the botanic gardens as well, im an admin of a facebook group for beekeepers and one of the members was there the other day when the queen came out of the hive and he filmed her with some of the workers. Id say she tried to swarm but he wing is clipped. She was marked white so a 2011 queen.

Whats the beekeepers first name you got the cedar hives off of, i probably know him! :)
    I,ll be up that way on Thursday so will pop in on my lunch and have a look around at the hives and then the walled veggie garden.I will ask the man in question if its ok to mention his name here before posting his name.Dont want to cross him as he has been very good to me with the bees and any supplies I have needed.

I,ll be up that way on Thursday so will pop in on my lunch and have a look around at the hives and then the walled veggie garden.I will ask the man in question if its ok to mention his name here before posting his name.Dont want to cross him as he has been very good to me with the bees and any supplies I have needed.

Of course lad, i completely understand :)

Did ya hear about the swarm that landed on a boat in Monkstown in Cork yesterday?

10488218_10152132713292060_5513807079712972488_n.jpg

There is a new beekeeping forum just been set up for anyone interested! :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1633

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Knowall Macduff

iba wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a bee hive (not wasps) in my compost bin (lidl one), should I just leave them be or should I try and get rid?

Thanks

How are those bees doing, with the hot weather plastic bins can get exceedingly hot. If they are honey bees you should try and have them rehoused.

How are those bees doing, with the hot weather plastic bins can get exceedingly hot. If they are honey bees you should try and have them rehoused.

I think that they have moved house themselfs.

Advertisement