Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appaloosa X Thoroughbred as Small Hunter

Options
  • 10-06-2014 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey!! I was wondering if any of ye can help.
    I have an appaloosa X thoroughbred 7 year old gelding. He reaches 15.2hh with shoes. I was thinking of trying some showing classes at local shows over the summer and I was wondering would he suit as a small hunter or would he be looked down on because of his spots?

It won't let me post photos directly to the thread so if you want to see some photos let me know and I'll find a way of showing you.
    Thanks for the advice!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Thats an interesting mix!! Would love to see pictures:)

If you are just doing local , pop him in one or two classes & see what feedback is like from the judge... what about workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 itslouiseoc

I'd love to try some working hunter classes but I'm not sure which classes there to enter as we're only jumping around 90cms at home. He can easily jump higher but I'm not the most confident over the higher fences where as he'll jump anything you put in front of him.

I might watch one or two working hunter classes at the next show and see what the standard is like and how how I'd be expected to jump :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ilovemarmite

He sounds lovely and interesting x, I'd hope he'd not be looked down on because of his spots. I may be slightly biased as I have an Appy X too :D but my chap is x with something native.

It does seem in showing classes that the bays and greys are seen placing more.

Where abouts are you based? Any local shows coming up?

My Appy is smaller only 15hh and not really a show horse type at all. But I will do a little show class and an intro performance hunter class this summer on him, but more for fun and experience and his education snd increasing confidence at different new places than to actually win (though he is of course the most gorgeous in my opinion). My boy is scopey for his height so hopefully he will do ok.

He actually did very nicely at his first dressage outing ever (mine too), so if you are interested in dressage at all that is another great discipline he might enjoy too and there is definitely no spotty discrimination in dressage!

Would love to see pics of your Appy X Thoroughbred sounds totally gorgeous! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

I adore appaloosas having being lucky enough to have a fabulous x appy to ride when I was a kid. I've never seen one crossed with TB so would love to see some photos! If he's too fine for a small hunter class would be be a potential small riding horse I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 itslouiseoc

Thanks guys!! We're based in county cork so the nearest show coming up would be charleville agricultural show and newmarket agricultural show. I might have a watch on the sunday of charleville show as it is a very competitive show and I might do newmarket of newcastlewest for fun and experience.

And I was planning on going to the dressage event at the end of July in Clonshire Equestrian Centre as we've been working a lot on flatwork and it would be nice to see where he has improved and where we can still work on.

And he's not fine but he's not incredibly stocky either. So maybe a small riding horse class might be more suitable thanks!! :D

And I'll send ye some photos now :D Thank you!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement