Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unmissable TV documentary about dentists!

Options
  • 10-06-2014 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Don't miss a very promising documentary about dentistry next Monday, 16/06/2014. It's on UTV from 9pm to 10pm.

It follows dentists and patients at the University Dental Hospital of Manchester. Hopefully it will give great insight into the world of dentistry. Don't think this has ever been covered on TV before now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

How can you call it 'unmissable' and at the same time express the wish that 'hopefully it will ......' which suggests that you have little or no knowledge of the substance of the program?

Based on the evidence of recent ITV programming, I forsee a low budget exercise which in return for unfettered access concedes editorial control to the subjects and thereby ensures all of the people featured come across as highly competent professionals so it will be nothing more than a PR exercise for the hospital.

I have absolutely no doubt that it will feature excellent people but these 'reality' programs follow a set formula and quite frankly reveal very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I spent a long time in dental school, its not terribly interesting for most people. Will this be an excuse to do "gross out" dental stories that point out the disfiguring dental diseases of the less fortunate as a form of public amusement.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The folk in the dental school are very enthusiastic anyway, something tells me they not expecting any surprises....

Dr Mike Pemberton, Clinical Head of Division at the University Dental Hospital of Manchester, said: “I welcome the opportunity this programme allows, to showcase the care, dedication and professionalism delivered by the staff working in the Dental Hospital. The programme highlights the varied nature of the dentistry we undertake and will help the public to understand our work better.”

Professor Paul Coulthard, Dean of the School of Dentistry at The University of Manchester, said: “'The Dentists' provides insight into the range of dental care offered by the University Dental Hospital of Manchester. This innovative care is developed in partnership with the School of Dentistry that is responsible for training dentists and produces world-class research that is at the forefront of changing practice around the world.”

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/news/article/?id=12165

The is the official ITV press release for the program, it includes the following....

Kirsty confesses her own reservations about visiting the dentist, saying: “I think people have a genuine fear of the dentist. I myself am absolutely terrified when I go to the dentist. I sit in the waiting room with my fists clenched, sweating.”

Kirsty by the way is a recently qualified dentist!

www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week25/dentists

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Just a reminder folks that this programme is on UTV tonight Monday 16/06/2014 at 9 pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

saw this. the only thing that struck me was the level of ignorance. every time a kid is sedated for multiple extractions, it costs the NHS £700.
    ridiculous waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

I saw it - and was SHOCKED at the lack of responsibility by the majority of parents for the state of their children's teeth. Putting a 4 / 5 / 6 year olds under general anaesthetic to remove 8 or more teeth borders on child abuse to me!

One particular mother seemed blissfully oblivious to the state of her 3 year olds mouth. "He likes toffee's.. what can you do.. kids have gotta have toffee's don't they... if his teeth have to fall out then what can you do...?" She was then crying later seeing him go under general anaesthetic to have this surgery done, looking for comfort and sympathy.

Who's the parent here?? Who buys the **ite they are eating / drinking? Easy know the treatment is free and there are no consequences for the parents of these poor kids.

The mind boggles....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

It's par for the course for a lot of children today. After a few days in a dental surgery, you become more desensitized:(
    Recent scenarios:
    -Parent saying their child has been complaining of a sore tooth for a few months....they need treatment only now however because the child is waking up crying and disturbing the parents' sleep.
    -Parent giving her 2yo child a large Cadburys bar to eat...whilst they themselves were having a filling.
    -Parent berating his 5yo for eating sweets...sourced in their own house.
    -Parent offering their child a lollipop as a treat...in surgery, directly after the child having a filling.
    -Parent explaining how they can't brush their 3yo childs' teeth as it's too difficult to access with a toothbrush....but then perplexed& annoyed as to why you can't/won't fit a either a forceps, or a drill, a mirror, and a suction into the exact same mouth (oh and inject them also, on their first ever dental visit!)

It's far easier to apportion blame to "soft teeth" than poor diet& poor oral hygiene.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

A friend of mine, who was religious about cleaning his sons teeth.. was shocked to find out at 8 he needed a filling, his wife brought the son, he was still wondering how he could have needed it given he doesnt give hi any sweets stuff bar xmas/easter etc.

So he pulls up to the surgery.. the there's the kid sucking on a lollipop from his mother :D

He still rants about it, kid hasnt had a need for anymore fillings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

A friend of mine, who was religious about cleaning his sons teeth.. was shocked to find out at 8 he needed a filling, his wife brought the son, he was still wondering how he could have needed it given he doesnt give hi any sweets stuff bar xmas/easter etc.

So he pulls up to the surgery.. the there's the kid sucking on a lollipop from his mother :D

He still rants about it, kid hasnt had a need for anymore fillings.

Women!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i had a kid in just this afternoon, with a foster family. he was almost 3. his original family were on a diet of noodles and red bull. when the foster parent told me, i almost swore, not out of malice, but just pure shock. he was lucky that he was taken away from his family at the time, just has a load of early lesions but his siblings teeth are all in bits. i see all sorts of shyte but giving red bull to a 2 year old took the chocolate covered toffee biscuit.

kind of a moment like this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

THis is not the lounge lads, lets keep things professional.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

The delivery may have been a bit forthright ;) but surely it's reassuring for people to realise that dentists are as outraged by extensive decay& neglect of teeth, as you'd expect most reasonable people to be. Not wanting to remedy the situation, or not caring about future preventative treatment, would worry me more....

This documentary is being repeated this Thursday, 12th March 2015 at 8.00 pm on UTV Ireland.

Quote from mother: "If he wants to chew toffees that's fair enough. If his teeth fall out that's fair enough"

AHHHHHH!

I am sure Manchester Social Services have now intervened and sent this mother on a compulsory parenting course that includes a lengthy module on helping children to mind their teeth!

Advertisement