Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating again in August

Options
  • 10-06-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

If you reject your degree and choose to repeat the final year in order to better your grade, can you repeat an exam in august if one of the modules you did turned out to be a disaster?

one of my exams went ****e, even ****er than last year!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

SharpShoot wrote: »
    If you reject your degree and choose to repeat the final year in order to better your grade, can you repeat an exam in august if one of the modules you did turned out to be a disaster?

one of my exams went ****e, even ****er than last year!
    Best thing to do is contact the department in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I don't think you can repeat to improve your grade. What dept?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Get in touch with the Academic Advisory office too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I don't think you can repeat to improve your grade. What dept?

You can reject your degree and repeat up to 15 credits (normally about 3 modules) in order to improve your final grades in final year. You can also elect to repeat the full year.

I can't answer the OP's q for sure but I think that by repeating the full year you have essentially restarted that year and that you'd be entitled to repeat an exam if needed. But like others have said, you should contact your dept to check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

You can reject your degree and repeat up to 15 credits (normally about 3 modules) in order to improve your final grades in final year. You can also elect to repeat the full year.

I can't answer the OP's q for sure but I think that by repeating the full year you have essentially restarted that year and that you'd be entitled to repeat an exam if needed. But like others have said, you should contact your dept to check.

Really? I'm pretty sure that's not the way in some of the science depts bit I am open to correction. What's to stop someone studying for half the exams in may and doing the other three (or whatever) in August to maximise their grade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Generally if you are repeating you are stuck at a maximum of 40% for the exams, unless it is extenuating circumstances.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Really? I'm pretty sure that's not the way in some of the science depts bit I am open to correction. What's to stop someone studying for half the exams in may and doing the other three (or whatever) in August to maximise their grade?

You have to have already passed the exam to improve the exam, otherwise it is just a basic repeat.
    Students may repeat modules (once only) up to 15 credits (of the 60 available) in the autumn supplemental examination or in the examinations in the subsequent year and still retain the entitlement to an honours award, which includes the contribution from the repeated modules. A student who chooses to repeat a passed module in order to try and improve a result must relinquish the mark first obtained and accept either 40% or the mark obtained at the second sitting. Thus obtaining a lower result on such a module may result in a lower class of honours being awarded in both the subject and/or the overall qualification than was originally offered.
    More info here.

Advertisement