Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do they look at the Nuchal pad during routine 12 week scan?

Options
  • 10-06-2014 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm due my 12 week scan with Holles St (semi-p) tomorrow.

I was just wondering if the sonographer normally looks at the nuchal pad during this scan? Would this be one of their routine checks? I know this wouldn't be conclusive without doing a proper nuchal screening, but it'd be good to know whether there was any sort of indication of a problem.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

are you going private?
    If not,it is a quick 30 second dating scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Moonbeam wrote: »
    are you going private?
    If not,it is a quick 30 second dating scan.

No, just semi-private :(

I'm so torn about getting a nuchal screening or not - have only a week or so to decide, and the idea of finding something terrifies me - but so does the prospect of worrying for the next 6 months :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    No, just semi-private :(

I'm so torn about getting a nuchal screening or not - have only a week or so to decide, and the idea of finding something terrifies me - but so does the prospect of worrying for the next 6 months :confused:

After much deliberating I opted not to have the nuchal fold test (standard here in the UK if over 35) but they take the measurements anyway at your 20 week scan and every subsequent scan. So even if you decide not to opt for it, they should still be able to tell you at your 20-week anomaly scan if the nuchal fold is within normal range.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I was private in Holles St and the nuchal fold test isn't routine. There's no problem getting it, but its an extra cost and needs to be booked separately.

Thanks - yeah i know it's not routine, but what I was really asking is if they take a look anyway? Since they're measuring crown-to-rump anyway, do they also measure the nuchal fold too to give any sort of indication of a problem? It would be weird if they didn't even look at it? Or are those scanners not detailed enough?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

lazygal wrote: »
    I was private in Holles St and the nuchal fold test isn't routine. There's no problem getting it, but its an extra cost and needs to be booked separately.

Same thing in the Rotunda if you're private, it cost us €250 for the scan (I must check if it's redeemable against health insurance actually). Our consultant flagged it as an option at the 8 week scan.

mrsWhippy I had pretty much the same concerns that you have, for me it came down to being in a position where I could make informed choices. I'm not good with "not knowing". There's no right or wrong option, only what's best for you.

I don't think it's a case of them taking a cursory glance, the scan was reasonably long and a lot of separate measurements were taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

A 12 week scan isn't detailed enough to show anything beyond heartbeat and a general foetal look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

lazygal wrote: »
    A 12 week scan isn't detailed enough to show anything beyond heartbeat and a general foetal look.

The nuchal translucency measurement is usually done between 11 and 13+6 weeks. Mine was done at 12+1. My consultant just seems to do it as part of the 12 week scan unless you ask otherwise, that was in Cork, as a private patient though.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    Thanks - yeah i know it's not routine, but what I was really asking is if they take a look anyway? Since they're measuring crown-to-rump anyway, do they also measure the nuchal fold too to give any sort of indication of a problem? It would be weird if they didn't even look at it? Or are those scanners not detailed enough?

Cheers

It depends on who is doing the scan. Usually no they don't check it as it's a difficult measurement to take and so takes time and they are usually in a hurry. Also your average sonographer isn't qualified to do it as apparently you need special training. Having said that I've heard of a couple of people who have been given an indication but I think it's rare and really depends on who you get and how busy they are. Also a lot are reluctant to say anything even if they do get the measurement as it really needs to be done in conjunction with the bloods.

It you do want the nuchal scan bear in mind there can be waiting lists for the appt so book as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The nuchal scan is free in the coombe for public patients. We got it done on our second. We also got the blood tests done for the really scary syndromes and we had to pay for that as the blood work is sent to a lab outside the hospital.

I rang the scan dept (can't remember proper name) and after being fobbed off with blatant lies twice I got the number of the head sonographer who is a fantastic lady. She advised me to get the dating scan done at 10 weeks so I rebooked and then rang her straight back and she booked me in for the nuchal at 12 weeks. She told me if we weren't happy with our results they'd book us in immediately for a cvs or amniocentesis if we wanted to go ahead with either. Thankfully we didn't need to as all results were very favourable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

The nuchal scan is free in the coombe for public patients. We got it done on our second. We also got the blood tests done for the really scary syndromes and we had to pay for that as the blood work is sent to a lab outside the hospital.

The scan part is free but the bloods are not, they cost 100 euro and you need both for an accurate nuchal screening.

Well thought I'd report back - just back from my scan. We had a really lovely experience, the staff were fantastic.

We did discuss the nuchal scan and she said that she does by default take a look at the fluid levels to see if there was anything untoward, if there was something unusual going on, she'd be obliged to tell the patient and to suggest further screening. She showed me the nuchal pad on the screen and tried to measure it too, but she said it was really well within normal ranges so there was nothing to indicate any problems. That is good enough for me right now :)

Absolutely delighted this morning to see a healthy active baby. Thanks for all your feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

lollpop wrote: »
    The scan part is free but the bloods are not, they cost 100 euro and you need both for an accurate nuchal screening.
    Yes, that's what I said

Advertisement