Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assigned Certifier for existing plans

Options
  • 10-06-2014 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭

So a friend is a draughtsman who can do excellent construction drawings etc for a planning application which I assume can go through and I can get planning.
    Obviously this guy cannot be an assigned designer and subsequently assigned certifier.
    Do I look for someone who will look over his plans and say "yeah, ok for regs", submit commencement notice and acts as assigned certifier for the build?
    Or am I on the wrong track??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

Yeah.
    Nothing to it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

4Sticks wrote: »
    Yeah.
    Nothing to it really.

Apologies but I am lost with your answer. To someone trying to get an extension done, it seems like theres a hell of a lot of professional work to get done so I wanted to know the extent I can use different professionals. Naturally someone who I know who can go through the planning process and save some cash in the process is beneficial but would I be stuck when I need a "cert of compliance-design" for the commencement notice or are assigned certifiers able to take someones plans and certify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,308 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Get friend to do planning application if they are competent but whoever you look to for construction stage will want to prepare building drawings which will be much more detailed.
    Planning drawings can often be little more than sketches.

Read this. Thanks to rogue developers and careless quarries we are all saddled with mountainous red tape which will add costs but little benefit to construction works.

You may face an uphill climb to find someone to act as you describe. It is a far from casual undertaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

mickdw wrote: »
    Get friend to do planning application if they are competent but whoever you look to for construction stage will want to prepare building drawings which will be much more detailed.
    Planning drawings can often be little more than sketches.

Friend has been involved for many years in preparing planning and construction/building drawings which he states will be in accordance with building regs and fully detailed for any builder. Hence I take it they would be competent.
    But am I then stuck in limbo as he is not one of the 3 classes that can be a "cert of compliance-design" person or can someone else pick that role up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,308 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

TheDriver wrote: »
    Friend has been involved for many years in preparing planning and construction/building drawings which he states will be in accordance with building regs and fully detailed for any builder. Hence I take it they would be competent.
    But am I then stuck in limbo as he is not one of the 3 classes that can be a "cert of compliance-design" person or can someone else pick that role up?

That's all well and good but imo anyone taking on constriction stage works is quite within their rights to produce their own detailing drawings which will be in accordance with regs butwill also have specific detailing re steel supports, insulation detailing, etc.
    I will still suggest your friend do the planning application. When granted, and you get someone on board to certify, you could discuss whether or not they would be happy to work with your friend. If so, your friend can then put the extra work into his drawings to take them to construction standard. It's foolishness preparing full building drawings for planning stage.

TheDriver wrote: »
    he is not one of the 3 classes that can be a "cert of compliance-design" person or can someone else pick that role up?

no. Only one of the holy trinity may be appointed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

this is my experience :
    • Guy A does planning application.
    • When planning is granted, Guy A emails the drawings to Guy B.
    • Guy B (Assigned Certifier), re-works these drawings to show proper construction details.
    • Guy B now becomes the Design Certifier also.
    Sorted.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,266 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

kceire wrote: »
    this is my experience :
    • Guy B (Assigned Certifier), re-works these drawings to show proper construction details.
    Sorted.

and from my experience...

[*]Guy B (Assigned Certifier), *pulls hair out trying to work with others method of cad drawing*..........re-draws themselves to show proper construction information

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Elektronske

this is my experience :
    Sorted.

this is a complete mess, building should be properly designed at planning permission stage, what you get planning for is what you build, in NI you must submit your construction details with planning application. Builder is often left looking at drawings that do not resemble what was submitted for planning or planning conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

sydthebeat wrote: »
    and from my experience...

[*]Guy B (Assigned Certifier), *pulls hair out trying to work with others method of cad drawing*..........re-draws themselves to show proper construction information

;)

Tell me about it, "I'll just delete this construction line", all of a sudden the whole drawing gets deleted!!!!!

this is a complete mess, building should be properly designed at planning permission stage, what you get planning for is what you build, in NI you must submit your construction details with planning application. Builder is often left looking at drawings that do not resemble what was submitted for planning or planning conditions.

This is The Republic of Ireland, it doesn't work the same way as NI. Planning drawings are quite simply how it's going to look, approx volume of the build, and the quantity of the build.

No way would it be viable for an architect to prepare construction details and drawings for a project that may not even get planning permission. Plus our planners are not qualified to understand construction materials.

This is The Republic of Ireland, it doesn't work the same way as NI. Planning drawings are quite simply how it's going to look, approx volume of the build, and the quantity of the build.

No way would it be viable for an architect to prepare construction details and drawings for a project that may not even get planning permission. Plus our planners are not qualified to understand construction materials.

An Irish clusterfck for an Irish clusterfck.
    In the real world people use preliminary and final approval.
    As for your planners, well that speaks volumes about Irish building control, if it can't be got right at the start, it's not going to work itself out at the end.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

An Irish clusterfck for an Irish clusterfck.
    In the real world people use preliminary and final approval.
    As for your planners, well that speaks volumes about Irish building control, if it can't be got right at the start, it's not going to work itself out at the end.
    No more of this rubbish. If it happens again you'll be banned permanently

The Irish way, lol, ban away it will actually speak volumes about the joke that is Irish construction industry.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

The Irish way, lol, ban away it will actually speak volumes about the joke that is Irish construction industry.

no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

No.
    Because planning has nothing to do with actual construction - is a design approval. It wound also mean people have to know what method of build they'll use at that early stage. What about TF . Blocks ? Bricks ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement