Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Options
  • 09-06-2014 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hello, I'm looking for advice on learning to swim, I have had group lessons before but I have never mastered swimming because to be honest I have a fear of water when I get out of the shallow end where i can't stand.

Im not sure whether to go for a few one to one lessons first or go for another group. Can anyone advise and or recommend where to go ? I live in Sutton area.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I would say get a couple of one to one lessons until you are able to swim out of your depth. Thereafter it depends on what you want from it but good technique is the key to good swimming so some coaching is a good idea - individual, group or just swimming in a Masters club and getting their feedback (eg Eastern Bay Masters Club out of Trinity Sports and Leisure and Westwood - I think).

I have never received one to one coaching so I cant advise someone for you though I do get group coaching for triathlon/OW swimming and it has made a big difference to my technique. Portmarnock sports and leisure club have a decent pool and probably do lessons too.

Failing that as far as I remember the pools in Westwood and the Ben Dunne Northwood are shallow for the full length which suggests there must be others out there too (not the NAC though, its deep all the way).

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 John_the_smith

I had private swim lessons myself and I believe that without them I would never be able to swim as I do today.
    The lessons I had were in the city center, but I'm sure there must be gyms or schools that deliver lessons in your area. I prefer private swim lessons because all of your instructors focus is on you at all times. If you're looking for prices I paid €150 for 6 lessons and did 12 in total. Now I'm more confident then ever in the water. I drowned in a pool when I was 5 years old and I always had a fear of water, well not anymore ;) Hope this helped.
    Best of luck!

Advertisement