Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent relief tax credit

Options
  • 09-06-2014 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi there,

I've a question about how rent relief tax credit works.

Do I need to apply for it each year, or is it enough to apply once and it will then be added to my tax credit each consecutive year?

All the best,
    Michal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,677 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

once is enough.

but it's being phased out, so if you're not on it alredy, i don't expect you'll get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 CL1970

it applies only to contracts entered before 2010, I think

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Greven

I've originally applied for it way back in 2007.

Is there any way to check if it's still being added to my tax credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Greven wrote: »
    I've originally applied for it way back in 2007.

Is there any way to check if it's still being added to my tax credit?

contact your local tax office, or revenue email

or use PAYE online which is your easiest option.

Ok, thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

PAYE anytime will tell you if you still have it. Mine was removed 3 years ago despite my still being on the same lease so I had to contact the Tax office to get it re-instated and got a nice little credit transfer from Revenue for the rebate. It's decreasing pretty much year-on-year atm though so don't hang about on it.

Cheers, I just registered for PAYE anytime.
    Better late than never I suppose :)

Mmm .. interesting. The fact that it can have been take off has me thinking ... might have to contact Revenue one day soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JohnTheGreat

Hi all, I am currently in the process of filling in my rent tax credit dating back to 2010.. I have moved house about once a year since then, but filling in that sort of info (PSS numbers etc.) would be a nightmare for the past 5 years.

What I'm wondering is, can I just list my current address as my residence for the past 5 years? it sure will make things easier. thanks.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Hi all, I am currently in the process of filling in my rent tax credit dating back to 2010.. I have moved house about once a year since then, but filling in that sort of info (PSS numbers etc.) would be a nightmare for the past 5 years.

What I'm wondering is, can I just list my current address as my residence for the past 5 years? it sure will make things easier. thanks.

No, because that would be incorrect and you wouldn't be able to sign that disclaimer at the end of the form. Would also be more of a nightmare if they decided to audit you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 JohnTheGreat

No, because that would be incorrect and you wouldn't be able to sign that disclaimer at the end of the form. Would also be more of a nightmare if they decided to audit you.

Ah thats what I was thinking, bummer. I'm going to have to figure out where i lived these past years so. thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ConCoBar

Hi,

I never knew about this. I starting renting my grandmothers house in January 2010 when I moved back from the UK and she moved into care. The rent basically covers the bills etc. while she is in care, it's not a property she makes money on. I pay direct debit through my bank each week and have done.

Now my prediciment is, do I contact the revenue and see if I can get it backdated and if I do, what will that mean for my grandmother? I know I'd have to give her PPS number etc.

Cheers folks!

Who is handling her tax affairs at present? You should talk to them about it. The phrase "covers the bills" is pretty vague.

My mother does. I suppose you could say it was rent a room moreso. I paid €40 a week which meant she wasn't out any money. Basically she makes no money on it, just once her bills are covered she's happy. I checked and it was Dec 11th 2009 I sent first payment over.

I think if you go for the credit, you will open a can of worms re whether there should even be any regular bills for her (like electricity) - and whether you are paying enough to cover the cost of maintenance. This is especially so if her nursing home fees are being funded by the government under Fair Deal or somesuch.

Personally I'd just leave well enough alone and forget about the credit.

And make sure that you maintain a good relationship with your mother since your tenancy status is, perhaps, "interesting". (Apologies if this comment horrifies you: in some families it would never be an issue, but in others it can be handy to remind people that the downside of family-favours is no legal protection.)

Many thanks! Will go on as I am!

Cheers! :D

Advertisement