Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Door to Dentistry

Options
  • 09-06-2014 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I'm worried about whether I can reach 575 points for Dentistry in TCD. I have no doubt, however, that I will reach 360 for Dental Nursing (in TCD again). Is it possible to go do dentistry (maybe even skip 1st year?) after doing the required 2 years of Dental Nursing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

The RCSI has a dentistry faculty - I don't really know that much about it only that it exists!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 13valbust

I was in the same position as you last year just around the time of my leaving cert.
    I was offered dental nursing in TCD and turned it down due to it being not at all like dental science. It is a good course,but in comparison to the amount of work dental science requires (just about as much as a doctor) its not even close, so its very rare to be allowed to ever get in that way, as the Dental nursing is only a diploma.
    The best way.. if any.. to get into Dental science, is through Dental hygiene which is slightly more comprehensive than Dental nursing, but again not too much like dental science.
    However, dental Hygiene is a restricted course meaning you must have put it on the CAO before the 1st feb. Hope this helped a little. Message me if you wanna know more.. currently studying something else in Trinity at the moment, but have looked into all these options, met with students in the courses etc!
    Best of luck with your exams.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

d1234 wrote: »
    The RCSI has a dentistry faculty - I don't really know that much about it only that it exists!
    I'm pretty sure that it only operates at postgrad. / Continuing Professional Development level, though I'm open to correction ... Trinity and Cork are the only dental schools I know of for undergraduates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kgebhi

Hi, I'm sorry to bump this thread but I'm kind of in the same situation.

I had to pick my Leaving Cert subjects at the age of 14. I had no idea of what I wanted to do at the time, and hadn't even sat my Junior Cert. Not realising how important they can be, I didn't pick biology or chemistry simply because my teacher was very bad at teaching them.

Only in the past few weeks have I realised how much Dentistry appeals to me. The thing is, because I don't do biology or chemistry, I can't do dentistry or dental hygiene. I'm in 6th year now so it's too late for me to start either one of the. I do an extra subject outside of school and doing 9 subjects (8 higher level) would just be too much.

Is there back door into dentistry? It's something that I'd love to do, and I'd hate to find out that I can't do it because of a decision I made when I was only 14.

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 OscarXC7

kgebhi wrote: »
    Hi, I'm sorry to bump this thread but I'm kind of in the same situation.

I had to pick my Leaving Cert subjects at the age of 14. I had no idea of what I wanted to do at the time, and hadn't even sat my Junior Cert. Not realising how important they can be, I didn't pick biology or chemistry simply because my teacher was very bad at teaching them.

Only in the past few weeks have I realised how much Dentistry appeals to me. The thing is, because I don't do biology or chemistry, I can't do dentistry or dental hygiene. I'm in 6th year now so it's too late for me to start either one of the. I do an extra subject outside of school and doing 9 subjects (8 higher level) would just be too much.

Is there back door into dentistry? It's something that I'd love to do, and I'd hate to find out that I can't do it because of a decision I made when I was only 14.

Thank you :)

Get the points for Dentistry this year. Take a year out next year and perhaps work full-time while doing Biology and Chemistry at night and sit them in 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

http://www.studyhungary.hu/pages.php?pageID=3

Have you considered going to Hungary - expensive but as a dentist you will be earning decent money - lots of Irish have

Also doing a graduate programme in uk - u need a degree first

Advertisement