Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watering mature trees

Options
  • 09-06-2014 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

I planted some mature trees about a month ago now, they are 8-10ft tall cotoneaster cornubias. I have watered them every day or two since... out of paranoia more than anything.

How long should I continue to water them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

mloc123 wrote: »
    I planted some mature trees about a month ago now, they are 8-10ft tall cotoneaster cornubias. I have watered them every day or two since... out of paranoia more than anything.

How long should I continue to water them?
    Your answer is you water them as nescessary, you have to monitor them and asses their requiements, overwatering has the potential to be more damaging than underwatering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Mulch around the bottom to stop water evaporating. If it gets dry under the mulch then you know you definitely need to water. I would imagine that with the mixed weather we've been having there wouldn't be a need to water by hand.
    You don't want to mollycoddle them too much. They need to stretch their roots out. If you go too easy on them and water and feed them it will keep their roots from searching out what it needs in the surrounding soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Cheers, I have mulch down around them. So if I check an inch or two under the mulch every couple of days and it is still damp I should just leave them?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

mloc123 wrote: »
    Cheers, I have mulch down around them. So if I check an inch or two under the mulch every couple of days and it is still damp I should just leave them?
    Correct, TBH in our climate watering once every 3/4 days is plenty but only if we get a prolonged (unlikely) dry period.
    Also generally speaking after the first growing season there should be no need to water at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

With most plants, a good soaking once a week is better than splashes every day.

If it hasn't rained in 7 days of blazing sunshine, give each tree 10 litres of water. Morning or evening.
    Instead of pouring directly on the trunk, spread the water around the root system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement