Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sulky racing on public roads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

But... its the culture?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Sulkies should be fully banned. They're a complete nuisance and a danger to other road users.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Hitchens wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/pony-put-down-after-it-hit-car-in-sulky-race-30338921.html

The County Council had to remove the unfortunate pony after the ethnics fled the scene, as usual.

Ethnics ?

Ignorant scumbag cruel bastards who shouldn't be let near animals are the words I'd use.

Anyone who treats an animal like this is an absolute knacker in the most degrading form of the word, regardless of culture, background, race or ethnicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Sulkies should be fully banned. They're a complete nuisance and a danger to other road users.

This. I cannot for the life of me understand how this sort of caper is tolerated on public roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Is this incident the same cultural extraveganza that was commented on yesterday I wonder?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90742460

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

jimgoose wrote: »
    This. I cannot for the life of me understand how this sort of caper is tolerated on public roads.

Because any move to stop it will be spun as DISCRIMINATION by pavee points media spin doctors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Is this incident the same cultural extraveganza that was commented on yesterday I wonder?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90742460

No, this is a separate incident involving a collision with a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

foggy_lad wrote: »
    No, this is a separate incident involving a collision with a car.

2 incidents in one week - jaysus, could someone do something about this before someone gets killed?

I'm sick of one group in society that the rules just don't seem to apply to...

If I did this to a horse (and someone's car) I'd be found and locked up, and with good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Another Day, Another injustice to a poor animal.

All domestic animals should be Microchipped ( Depending on Size ) or Licensed ( Farm Animals )

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

And pedestrians. Seen them on the footpath plenty of times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

Those people should not be allowed to keep animals,loads of them around here racing around on their sulkies,the poor horses froathing at the mouth & sweating while they are made run a 9 mile ring on the hottest of days.

I bought a jack russell off them a few years ago,just to get her out of where she was.She was riddled with worms & fleas & had just had her tail cut off leaving bone exposed. She still wets the floor if you make a sudden movement around her.

The guards & animal welfare people seem to turn a blind eye to it,its a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

The travellers, was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,976 ✭✭✭Hitchens

I hope RTE and TV3 show the aftermath of this with a report from their correspondent in the area, on the main news bulletins today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No fear you will hear Vincent Browne mention anything like this whilst giving Martin Colins an easy interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Lapin wrote: »
    Ethnics ?

Ignorant scumbag cruel bastards who shouldn't be let near animals are the words I'd use.

Anyone who treats an animal like this is an absolute knacker in the most degrading form of the word, regardless of culture, background, race or ethnicity.

Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

Should lock the perpetrators up and force them to sulky around an arena like Ben Hur

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

urabell wrote: »
    Should lock the perpetrators up and force them to sulky around an arena like Ben Hur

With them pulling the sulkies themselves, rather than the horses. And with scythes on the wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Its disgraceful, should have been banned ages ago but who cares about animal rights when the travellers will shout discrimination at anyone who dares question their practices. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

The dying horse was just abandoned. :( Scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Why cant they. Just. Use. Cars... They dont pay road tax, they dont pay insurance, they dont do NCTs, and use green diesel like no other fuel exists. And of all the driving ones Ive known, three had bothered with a driving test or licences.

Driving, for members of the travelling community, aint exactly fukken expensive!!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 KOTSC

Before this latest incident happened; one of the sinn fein councillors in my area was saying on his facebook in the last week they would try to get sulky racing banned; i fully hope something will come from this and sulky racing is banned nationwide before any accidents occur involving people; on a final note a certain ultra left candidate who got very little votes in the southeast in the recent local elections was out in force on different facebook threads last night labeling anyone against sulky racing as racist and the failed ultra left candidate prob wonders why so few people would vote for em.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

If I did that to a horse I would fully expect to feel the full force of the law.
    These absolute scrotes of society will continue to do this and continue to get away with it because they run from the scene and of course "nobody saw anything" as usual.

I have often come across this on main roads, cars and vans blocking the roads in both directions, driving on the wrong side of the road, putting everyone on the road at risk, not just the scumbags on these sulkies. Damaging property, breaking several traffic laws you or me would get bans for, cruelty to animals and being downright scum. I don't care what race or ethnicity you are, whether you live in a house or a caravan shouldn't matter, once you do that to an animal you should loose your rights and to claim you have a "right" to do so because of a certain "ethnicity" is crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Filthy vermin the lot of them..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Mr_Red wrote: »
    Another Day, Another injustice to a poor animal.

All domestic animals should be Microchipped ( Depending on Size ) or Licensed ( Farm Animals )

Horses have to be chipped and have a passport. Bet those had neither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 KOTSC

I just logged onto pavee points facebook page and irish traveller movemene facebook page no mention whatsoever of this latest sulky racing incident; cant say Im surprised; yet when a newspaper writer writes an article thats critical of traveller culture; all their spokespersons are in force in the media crying racism and discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

I feel sorry for the driver too -having a shock like that (thankfully no injuries), then having to see the pony suffer as its "owners" legged it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Muise... wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the driver too -having a shock like that (thankfully no injuries), then having to see the pony suffer as its "owners" legged it.

Yeah...and how does insurance work in that instance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

FearDark wrote: »

No idea (I don't have a car) - but good question. If the racing is not illegal, and the hit and run wasn't with a vehicle...

I was thinking more of the upset of it - big fright then seeing a poor creature suffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

FearDark wrote: »
    You probably have to claim off your own insurance, that's if you have fully comprehensive. Very unfair to have your premium affected by something like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

You probably have to claim off your own insurance, that's if you have fully comprehensive. Very unfair to have your premium affected by something like this.

Id imagine they wouldn't cover, myself. Youd have to go to the central insurance beurau (the one that everyone pays into) perhaps.

Advertisement