Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moral Dilemma

Options
  • 09-06-2014 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Is it wrong to laugh at somebody with an intellectual disability doing something that you would ordinarily laugh at, if you saw a ‘normal’ person doing it?

Does this make you too PC if you try to ignore something hilarious just because you’d come across as a cnut if you were seen to be laughing at someone?

For example, in a shop yesterday there was a lad in the electronics section trying out some demo headphones that were on display, obviously with music playing through them. He seemed to be having a great time – dancing around, head-banging, hands in the air.

The thing is, to me, it was funny to see. But not laughing at his expense. After all, he was enjoying himself. But customers (myself included) were all obviously trying to ignore him and pretend that nothing was happening. It got me thinking, if that was someone who seemed to be ‘normal’ – I’m sure people would have a giggle seeing them dancing around with the earphones on!

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

I guess there's a difference between smiling or laughing at someones funny antics and sniggering at them. The thing is would it look like you were laughing at their expense. Good question OP

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Azwaldo55

If you find something funny you can't help laughing.

In secondary school our history class were shown a documentary about the Holocaust. There was an interview with a British soldier who liberated one of the concentration camps and he describe how he witnessed some Hitler Youth boys shooting naked emaciated Jewish prisoners. He said he saw them shoot them in the balls and said he and his mates shot the boys dead on the spot. The way he described it was unintentionally hilarious and the class started laughing. Our teacher burst into tears turned off the video and left the room which made some in the class laugh even harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

My daughter (2) was hit in the face by a ball she threw herself (bounced back off a chair) and I nearly fell over laughing. This was at our usual playgroup. If it had been someone else's child I would have very politely held it in until that night when I recounted the day to my husband. People did look at me strange. It didn't even hurt her, she just went on with her day...

Someone was describing their friend who has tourettes and one minute she was calmly sitting there and the next thing when she imitated the person whse arm involuntarily shoots out like they are going to punch someone and shouted some of the words the person says I burst out laughing. I wasnt laughing at the persons problems. I was laughing at the impression she did, it was unexpected. She looked at me like I was the most cruel hearted perrson she'd ever met.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The correct procedure there is to grab a set of 'phones yourself and join him. Rock on, Daddy-O. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I don't think there's much harm in laughing when you see someone enjoying themselves.

As long as you're not laughing at them, that's a whole other story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

tempnam wrote: »
    The thing is, to me, it was funny to see. But not laughing at his expense. After all, he was enjoying himself.

And I think that's the differentiator that made it ok. You weren't ridiculing him or being nasty, you had a laugh at someone who was clearly having a laugh themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Is it wrong to laugh at somebody with an intellectual disability doing something that you would ordinarily laugh at, if you saw a ‘normal’ person doing it?

Smash the beetles! Gugh! GUGH gugggg!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Azwaldo55

Mr. Bean clearly has some sort of mental disorder but his antics are laughed at by millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I think it's worse not to laugh if you would usually laugh if it was someone with no disability. Don't treat people any different.

• Advertisement

My friend telling me about his nieces pet rabbit getting trapped in his electric bed which tips up vertically. It was the way he told the story. I still can't keep a straight face thinking about it. Poor rabbit though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

I am awful, I laugh in the most horrible situations, I really can't help it and the more I try to refrain the funnier I think it is till I am in bits tears running down my face at basically nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

In Croke Park yesterday during the the mini games at half time, a girl was floored by a kicked ball, full in the face God love her, wicked smack and she was down for a few minutes. The sympathetic ooohhhss turned to laughter when she stood up and the now out of play ball was kicked back onto the pitch, hitting her right in the kisser for the second time. About 5,000 people found it impossible to not laugh, including me. In our defence, it was funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

In Croke Park yesterday during the the mini games at half time, a girl was floored by a kicked ball, full in the face God love her, wicked smack and she was down for a few minutes. The sympathetic ooohhhss turned to laughter when she stood up and the now out of play ball was kicked back onto the pitch, hitting her right in the kisser for the second time. About 5,000 people found it impossible to not laugh, including me. In our defence, it was funny.

Your post reminds me of growing up with a load of male cousins and getting skulled in the head by footballs on numerous occasions. I hate footballs. :mad:

I then went on to do PE for five years in secondary school and the b*stards used to put me in goals for the laugh!! My PE teacher used to have a great laugh, the b*stard. Seeing as I was the only girl who did PE after JC, I used to protest and say we play basketball or else. it worked sometimes. :pac:

I done PE because my PE teacher was a legend and a half. He's even mentioned on boards, absolutely devastated he retired in my 6th year! For anyone who went to school in north longford 'Get your bag and baggage and get out'. HAHA. Some man!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

As long as you're not laughing at them, that's a whole other story.

Yes, but how do you know if someone is laughing 'at' someone. what does that even really mean?
    Merkin wrote: »
    And I think that's the differentiator that made it ok. You weren't ridiculing him or being nasty, you had a laugh at someone who was clearly having a laugh themselves.

Think I get where you're coming from - once someone isn't ridiculing the person, or making nasty comments then they are just laughing at the situation, rather than the person...?
    I think it's worse not to laugh if you would usually laugh if it was someone with no disability. Don't treat people any different.

But surely some people do need to be treated differently. For example, I bet most people who would normally complain about say, slow service in a cafe for example, would hold off on complaining if the slow service came from an employee who had a disability. Thus treating them differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

But surely some people do need to be treated differently. For example, I bet most people who would normally complain about say, slow service in a cafe for example, would hold off on complaining if the slow service came from an employee who had a disability. Thus treating them differently.

I would be happy to treat people differently in such a circumstance, owing to differing abilities. There's quite a difference between somebody being lazy, rude, inefficient or whatever in a service industry and someone doing their level best who just happens to be a little less able. Discernment and discrimination are not the same thing.
    On that note, if you're ever in Glasgow try the Spoon Café at Trongate. It's staffed by people of differing abilities, has great food and it's the lovliest atmosphere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AlexisM

It got me thinking, if that was someone who seemed to be ‘normal’ – I’m sure people would have a giggle seeing them dancing around with the earphones on!

What are your thoughts?
    I think the difference is that there's a 'reason' for the behaviour which makes it less acceptable to laugh at. A 'normal' person is just waaay less likely to dance around with the earphones on - and if they do, they are probably doing it for a laugh. In your situation, it's the disability that has most likely caused the behaviour/lack of inhibition - the person is enjoying themselves not playing the situation for laughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Yes, but how do you know if someone is laughing 'at' someone. what does that even really mean?

Think I get where you're coming from - once someone isn't ridiculing the person, or making nasty comments then they are just laughing at the situation, rather than the person...?

Thats a good point. I think the "at" and "with" just sounds right. Looking back on comedy with say the Two Ronnies, you were clearly laughing with them, but since the advent of Alan Partridge, David Brent, the humour is far more "at" them.
    I agree, the post earlier of the woman, who laughed at her 2 y/o who hit herself in the face with a ball. I often find myself suppressing a snigger or even a smile at funerals even for people I dearly loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Does this make you too PC if you try to ignore something hilarious just because you’d come across as a cnut if you were seen to be laughing at someone?

For example, in a shop yesterday there was a lad in the electronics section trying out some demo headphones that were on display, obviously with music playing through them. He seemed to be having a great time – dancing around, head-banging, hands in the air.

The thing is, to me, it was funny to see. But not laughing at his expense. After all, he was enjoying himself. But customers (myself included) were all obviously trying to ignore him and pretend that nothing was happening. It got me thinking, if that was someone who seemed to be ‘normal’ – I’m sure people would have a giggle seeing them dancing around with the earphones on!

What are your thoughts?

So what your saying is, the guy went full retard?

Advertisement