Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children in homes used as guinea pigs

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

jobless wrote: »
    just saw this now

http://www.newstalk.ie/EXCLUSIVE:-Hundreds-of-children-in-homes-were-used-for-scientific-experiments

things rarely shock me about this countries past anymore but this has.... kids being used as guinea pigs by pharma companies here in the 60/70's..

thought it was only the nazi's that did stuff like this!

Nazis and the catholic church.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

jobless wrote: »
    just saw this now

http://www.newstalk.ie/EXCLUSIVE:-Hundreds-of-children-in-homes-were-used-for-scientific-experiments

things rarely shock me about this countries past anymore but this has.... kids being used as guinea pigs by pharma companies here in the 60/70's..

thought it was only the nazi's that did stuff like this!

The Nazis got their eugenics ideas from the US. The UK had its own little research facility as well. The Swiss sold 50000 orphans to farms for slave labour. Barnardos (yes, the children's charity) sold thousands of children to the Canadian government as farm labourers. That's something you won't find on the Barnardos website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭baldbear

Nazis and the catholic church.

It happened everywhere to poor people throughout history. Not just the catholic institutions.

Look up Walter E. Fernald Developmental Center or the Tuskegee syphilis experiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

It's a pity the Catholic Church was never influenced by Christianity.

baldbear wrote: »
    It happened everywhere to poor people throughout history. Not just the catholic institutions.

Look up Walter E. Fernald Developmental Center or the Tuskegee syphilis experiment.

It doesn't make it right!
    What the hell were the fianna fail/fine Gael governments doing while all this was going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Thread title not strong enough

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The state, councils etc at the time gave companies permission to use kids in such experiments. The government has something like 2,000 files in their archive with evidence of what was done and refuse to release them.

Watch the Prime Time episode about it from 2011

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/prime-time/2011/1006/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Thread title not strong enough

you're right... how do i edit it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The thing that really gets to me is that these drugs weren't even for use on humans, they were for cattle :eek: I just have no words for how sick that makes me feel. The more this story goes on the worse it gets.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

So I'm taking that those who are reflective bashing the RCC are of course knowledgeable enough to place these in context[myself I'd recommend reading bioethics books by Prof. John Keown ]. To place these within the period that medical professions were accorded alot more legal leeway in what constituted patient rights than nowadays. As well that many of these medicines/vaccines were desperately needed to combat the many causes of childhood mortality at the time. So it is unfortunate these happened in retrospective spotlight of our own enlightened times, but it would be parochial to assume this did not happen pre-1960s/70s worldwide by stakeholders with no connection to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

**** me :eek:

Is this linked to the children in the septic tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Manach wrote: »
    To place these within the period that medical professions were accorded alot more legal leeway in what constituted patient rights than nowadays..

Hardly patients though when they were kids being experimented on with vaccines meant for cattle?

You really have to stop trying to make excuses for these practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    **** me :eek:

Is this linked to the children in the septic tank?

Give it another couple of pages...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Was it the church or the state that was administering the drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

The Nazis got their eugenics ideas from the US. The UK had its own little research facility as well. The Swiss sold 50000 orphans to farms for slave labour. Barnardos (yes, the children's charity) sold thousands of children to the Canadian government as farm labourers. That's something you won't find on the Barnardos website.

The Barnardos thing is incredible do you have a link?, its not because I'm doubting this in any way but I would be interested in reading up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Give it another couple of pages...

It's linked in that it shows how little the Catholic Church and by extension the State, gave a **** about children.

They really didn't.

How could any adult experiment on orphan children? It's unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

One man on the radio this morning who had been subjected to this,wondered why he had marks all over his body as a child he had no memory of the experiments carried out on him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

Riamfada wrote: »
    Was it the church or the state that was administering the drugs?

My understanding so far is that the church sold access to the children to pharmaceutical companies and was able to do so owing to an absence of supervision which was the result of the church's influence on the state, the same situation that allowed all the other abuses to persist undetected and unpunished.

I hope there's a big area in Hell for these supposed catholic priests and nuns.

Because these evil sadistic bastards will be burning for a long time!

How are an organisation with systemic paedophilia and child abuse still allowed to operate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Listening to Newstalk earlier, Glaxo Smith Kline (GSK) were the pharma company identified for most of the vaccine tests.

And people wonder why the Vatican has a big bank...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Listening to Newstalk earlier, Glaxo Smith Kline (GSK) were the pharma company identified for most of the vaccine tests.

I don't think that's the case at all. GlaxoSmithKline outlined a lot of these details a long time ago after they bought out one of the companies involved in the testing and discovered what had been going on.

There are many people who have known about these test trials for years in the same way that many people have known about the mass baby burial sites for decades. Local people knew well what was going on back then too. It has been reported on before, but it seems the media didn't take too much interest in it back in the day. Its sickening that it has taken this long for it to get proper exposure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

I hope there's a big area in Hell for these supposed catholic priests and nuns.

Because these evil sadistic bastards will be burning for a long time!

How are an organisation with systemic paedophilia and child abuse still allowed to operate?

This post referencing the Stockholm Syndrome helped me understand it somewhat;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90740320&postcount=1686

And people wonder why the Vatican has a big bank...

They're lovely - lied to the FDA about distributing thalidomide
    The drug was never approved for use in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, the suit says, but it was nevertheless distributed by the defendants to at least 20,000 patients in the country.

http://pennrecord.com/news/11051-judge-lifts-stay-on-thalidomide-products-liability-suit-against-gsk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

gctest50 wrote: »
    They're lovely - lied to the FDA about distributing thalidomide

I wouldn't be a fan of them at all, but in fairness to them they did blow the lid on this years back - probably because they knew it would come out eventually anyway. It is pretty disturbing that no major investigation followed in the wake of those revelations though.

I think someone already linked to the PrimeTime show that outlined these revelations back in 2011 - http://www.rte.ie/news/player/prime-time/2011/1006/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Psychiatric hospitals in England tested medicines and 'therapies' on patients without their consent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

This Countries hidden history really needs to be explored and share with today's society.

Inquiries and investigations need to be held to put alot of minds at ease

We cant change history but we can uncover it so this country can reform for the better in all aspects of life

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Manach wrote: »
    So I'm taking that those who are reflective bashing the RCC are of course knowledgeable enough to place these in context[myself I'd recommend reading bioethics books by Prof. John Keown ]. To place these within the period that medical professions were accorded alot more legal leeway in what constituted patient rights than nowadays. As well that many of these medicines/vaccines were desperately needed to combat the many causes of childhood mortality at the time. So it is unfortunate these happened in retrospective spotlight of our own enlightened times, but it would be parochial to assume this did not happen pre-1960s/70s worldwide by stakeholders with no connection to Ireland.

I'll never get over hearing about your man Kellogg's experiments

• Advertisement

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    No, I meant was that the reason the children died?

Many would have died because of overcrowding ( caused by the greed for easy income by selling babies )

The healthy kids would have been the most saleable - sold off to the US etc if they were lucky

The other not so lucky ones got experimented on.

There is no way they would have written
    Child #107 died after administering TestVacXYZ

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement