Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man with "Irish accent" steals D-Day veterans war medals in London

Options
  • 09-06-2014 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

http://news.sky.com/story/1278262/veterans-medals-stolen-on-d-day-anniversary

A war veteran has had his military medals stolen as former soldiers gathered to mark the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings.

The 92-year-old had 11 medals taken from his home in Whetstone, north London, after answering the door to a man claiming to be from the water board.

The bogus caller appeared to look at the taps in the kitchen before leaving a short time later.

Later that evening, the veteran, who served with the Grenadier Guards during the Second World War, noticed items in his bedroom had been moved and his war and service medals stolen.

Nothing else was taken in the apparent distraction burglary.

The man who entered the house spoke with an Irish accent and wore grey clothing that looked like an engineer's outfit.

He is described as white, about 5ft 10in tall and of stocky build.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on the non-emergency number 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

My Big Fat Gypsy D-Day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Me pot o' gold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Sure its his culture boss.

Plus he has not had enough cuddles as a child and not enough positive life experiences. He's actually really nice.

(actually a complete scumbag. Hope he gets caught)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That 92-year-old has done more in his life for his fellow man than those absolute scumbags ever will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭galwayredgirl

It would make you sick, people like that preying on the elderly. I'd say that poor man is wondering why he bothered putting himself in harms way during the war when this is how the society he lives in has developed! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

I believe in Karma so i would not like to be in the ''Pikeys'' shoes right now or never.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Might be a revelation, but 'settled' Irish people have been known to steal stuff......just sayin'

Nothing in article suggests what section of the population he might be from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Might be a revelation, but 'settled' Irish people have been known to steal stuff......just sayin'

Appropriating ancient and nobel nomadic culture? :pac:

Couldn't resist! You're right though, we know nothing about this aside from the fact that the scumbag that did this is likely one of our own, unfortunately. Hope the fecker is caught and put in public stocks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Hope he gets caught, medals get returned, and then gets the living daylights kicked out of him from end of the cell block to the other.

I just feel it in my bones .:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

So many "Irish accents" in London, this is downright scummy though...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

anto9 wrote: »
    I just feel it in my bones .:rolleyes:
    You admit to being prejudiced, then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

You can take away his medals but you can't take away what he's done. When they catch this bastard they should make him storm a beach under heavy gunfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

It would be more of a Modus Operendi profiling kinda thing as opposed to a prejudice kinda thing. ie. 9 times out of 10 this type of crime is perpetrated by a european multinational ethnic group or our own version thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Disgusting - them medals are irreplaceable and had a lot of sentimental values to your elderly gentleman.

Absolutely weak, I sincerely hope it gets returned.

You admit to being prejudiced, then.

Yes ,and not without reason .I used to respect them until i lived on the same road as the Pikeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Hope he gets them back.

Back in the '70's my Grandmother, a war widow, got a knock at the hall door.
    A well dressed and polite man was there and he got talking to her. Although she felt he was not a threat, she was puzzled because he was asking questions about her, her family and her dead husband. When he was quite sure he had the right person he produced a packet and handed it to her. It contained my grandfather's medals. She told the man he was mistaken and that my grandfather's medals were safe in her bedroom. She went to get them and they were missing. Someone had stolen and sold the medals. The man would take no payment and wouldn't leave his contact details. Its a story that has had a big influence on my moral compass over the years - so the goodness he displayed has been passed on to others. Hope the old soldier gets his back.

Advertisement