Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure washer problem - help please

Options
  • 09-06-2014 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I hope this is suitable place to post. Please move if required. I have a Powercraft pressure washer that I bought in Aldi about 5 years ago. The washer has been working perfectly for that time. Recently however, it has begun 'pulsing' when the trigger is not pressed. Once I press the trigger, the washer works fine. It started as a 'pulse' every 5 or 6 seconds. After a couple of more uses it's down to about a pulse every second. I've done a lot of searching on the issue and while there are many YouTube videos of the symptoms etc., I cannot find any suitable suggested solutions. It seems to be a 'pressure regulator' or 'check valve' issue. Other problems point to a cracked cylinder head and leakage from the pressure washer. However, I opened it up and took the cylinder head off. There's no visible damage to any of the components. There is also no leakage from the pump etc. when in use. I've also tried to clean the small filter on the inlet pipe, but this didn't fix the problem.

Before I go out and buy a new one, I'd rather to try fix this one if possible. The washer works fine apart from the pulsing, but this may be causing undue wear. I'm quite sure I could do it myself if I knew the possible issue and the required part to fix. Perhaps someone out there has experience with this problem. I have a few things I'm trying to find out: -

1. Does anyone know what the source of the problem might be?
    2. What part would be required to fix it?
    3. The make/model is a Powercraft 9686 2.1 KW pressure washer. I believe it uses Karcher components and is based on the 'series 3' Karcher pressure washers. Would anyone have any ideas what Karcher model spare parts would fit?

Any help would be great.

Cheers,

DC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

after a while the valves/seals start to wear and this can cause the pulsing I would use it until it packs it in and then purchase a new washer

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭cala

have you tried putting the jet head on the ground and pulling the trigger, this forces the water back into the jet and can clear a blockage in the jet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Do you see any water leaking out when it is pulsing? I had a problem with a Karcher unit when the pump developed a leak. It would keep pulsing as you describe. I eventually recycled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Thanks for the responses.

@jimf: Yeah I've read a lot about the components and possible issues. I think I've narrowed it down to a cracked cylinder head or the hole in the control head. Both parts can be bought as spares I think. It would be nice to repair it as the rest of the washer is perfect. It's also a good powerful motor and would be expensive to replace with one of equivalent wattage/power.

@cala: I haven't tried that but the water coming out of the lance is fine. The motor just pulses when when the unit is idle (trigger not pulled).

@Cerco: I don't remember seeing any leaks or water around the unit, but I will double check this the next time.

Cheers,

DC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

if you decide to go down the repair route be very careful stripping the head as there are a lot of lovely valves and springs that decide they would like to hop next door never to return again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

jimf wrote: »
    if you decide to go down the repair route be very careful stripping the head as there are a lot of lovely valves and springs that decide they would like to hop next door never to return again

Hi jimf,
    Yes indeed there is! I already took the cylinder head off to have a look around. I reckon I'll strip it down a bit more to get a look at the control head and other bits so I can check for damage and take some photos of the bits in the hope of finding suitable spares.

Small plastic bits, springs and silicone grease everywhere!

Cheers,

DC

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

dcGT wrote: »
    Hi jimf,
    Yes indeed there is! I already took the cylinder head off to have a look around. I reckon I'll strip it down a bit more to get a look at the control head and other bits so I can check for damage and take some photos of the bits in the hope of finding suitable spares.

Small plastic bits, springs and silicone grease everywhere!

Cheers,

DC

OP Did you ever get your power washer fixed? Mine is presenting the same problems and has no leaks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Same here actually, except mines a Karcher, would love to know if this is worth fixing..

Advertisement