Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Years For Welfare Fraud €2,548

Options
  • 09-06-2014 3:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Its suspended but still completely unfair.
    independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dad-of-six-previously-convicted-of-ira-membership-avoids-jail-sentence-for-social-welfare-fraud-30332332.html most murderers and rapists get out after 7 years.

Also an example of judges in this country. Martin Nolan gives a 6 year sentence to Paul Begley for a garlic scam. Yet he has given suspended sentences to rapists child molesters.

broadsheet.ie/2013/11/15/huston-we-have-a-problem/

Imagine the person you loved the most was brutally murdered and the killer gets out after 7 years?
    At present, the Board initially reviews prisoners who have been sentenced to life imprisonment after they have served 7 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Eh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

(Tries to think of witty AH answer.)

What a fraudulent story....

*I'll let myself out.*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

As has been said a few times lately, his mistake was criminal behavior involving a few thousand euro. You only get proper special treatment if your crimes involve tens of billions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Eh?

FYP

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

So the guy got off??

Don't know where to put my outrage on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Everyone who starts a dole related thread in AH should automatically be locked up for two years.

And those who start such threads, then go off on tangents (using failed links) about garlic judges and murderers should get life.

And being the worse for drink when you open such a thread is no mitigation.

You could face the firing squad if you try pulling that old stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

The sentence is meant as a deterrent which should save the Irish tax payer millions in the end .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,735 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hardly seems unfair? #EddieHalvey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

anto9 wrote: »
    The sentence is meant as a deterrent which should save the Irish tax payer millions in the end .

LOL. So they can blow it on some other rubbish/pour it down the banking debt hole or dream up a new scheme to stick their buddies onto a handy number. I'd rather ra boy got it tbh. At least he'll spend it here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Lapin wrote: »
    Everyone who starts a dole related thread in AH should automatically be locked up for two years.

And those who start such threads, then go off on tangents (using failed links) about garlic judges and murderers should get life.

And being the worse for drink when you open such a thread is no mitigation.

You could face the firing squad if you try pulling that old stunt.

Suspended - we haven't got the prison space ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

LOL. So they can blow it on some other rubbish/pour it down the banking debt hole or dream up a new scheme to stick their buddies onto a handy number. I'd rather ra boy got it tbh. At least he'll spend it here in Ireland.

So they should have just let him off with no punishment? Don't you regularly like to remind us about how much tax you pay in this country? This guy was stealing that tax money, would you be as sorry for him if he had walked into your home and stolen it from your wallet?

It would cover about 1/3 of the cost of a limo between airport terminals i guess. And where's he? On a big fat pension paid for by us. No suspended sentences for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    It would cover about 1/3 of the cost of a limo between airport terminals i guess. And where's he? On a big fat pension paid for by us. No suspended sentences for him.

My biggest problem is that its suspended.

Just because they can't get the sentence right for more serious crime doesn't mean I'm going to get outraged when they get it (almost) right for less serious crime...

Your just making a jusification for Dole fraud .Sure the Politicians squander money left right and center ,but then after that there is only so much left for the needy in society.You could make the same excuse for robbing from a shop ,>>a shure they dont pay us enough Dole to live like we deserve and are intitled to<<
    The Dole is very generous in Ireland compared to many other even Euro States ,and there is no excuse for cheating the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

anto9 wrote: »

Isn't every sentence meant as a deterrent?

userod wrote: »
    Isn't every sentence meant as a deterrent?

Yes ,but this one saves the taxpayer money .Anyway the kunt does not even have to serve it .I do hope they make him pay back every cent or deduct it from his future Dole .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He got done because it was indentity fraud - he used someone elses indentity to claim. They look on it far harsher than working and claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

tritium wrote: »
    Just because they can't get the sentence right for more serious crime doesn't mean I'm going to get outraged when they get it (almost) right for less serious crime...

Now I don't consider myself especially dumb but I have read this sentence five times and haven't a clue what you are on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Man belonged to an organisation who wanted to overthrow the State and then steals from that State

State puts the boot into man

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Now I don't consider myself especially dumb but I have read this sentence five times and haven't a clue what you are on about.

He means even though the state gets it wrong with white collar crime ,he is glad they get it right sometimes with low level crime ( but with high cost to the community as a whole ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm sure his previous convictions played a part in the sentencing decision

Advertisement