Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Focusrite Octopre To PC?

Options
  • 09-06-2014 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I picked up an Focusrite Octopre (first type) a few years ago when I was in college and interested.

I'd love to hook it up for a few recordings im doing myself.

Can anyone recommend a sound card with an input to suit the Octopre and an output to a set of active monitors.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

For a small project setup, a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 or some of the Focusrite Scarlett range should give you some Firewire and USB options with ADAT inputs for you to run the Octopre into.

There are options from other brands, but it is a crowded range so I wont list them. The main thing is, the Octopre doesnt have to be plugged into another Focusrite interface to work the best.

Your best bet is to go onto Thomann.de, into the computer section and click Interfaces. Use the search filter to look for interfaces with "ADAT in" and you have a platform for some product research :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭LeBash

bbk wrote: »
    For a small project setup, a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 or some of the Focusrite Scarlett range should give you some Firewire and USB options with ADAT inputs for you to run the Octopre into.

There are options from other brands, but it is a crowded range so I wont list them. The main thing is, the Octopre doesnt have to be plugged into another Focusrite interface to work the best.

Your best bet is to go onto Thomann.de, into the computer section and click Interfaces. Use the search filter to look for interfaces with "ADAT in" and you have a platform for some product research :)

Thanks for the reply.

Youll have to excuse the ignorance. I dont see how the safire pro fits inline. I was assuming i just need some form of pci or pci express sound card.

I have a junker of a kit so id like to mic all the drums and have individual tracks on protools.

The saffire seems to be similar to the octopre just not in 19" form. Am i right or way off on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

LeBash wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

Youll have to excuse the ignorance. I dont see how the safire pro fits inline. I was assuming i just need some form of pci or pci express sound card.

I have a junker of a kit so id like to mic all the drums and have individual tracks on protools.

The saffire seems to be similar to the octopre just not in 19" form. Am i right or way off on that?

No, you're not right. Octopres are commonly used in conjunction with an audio interface to expand the users input count.

For instance, if the user had a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (or similar device from another manufacturer), the user would have 8 inputs.

The Pro 40 has an ADAT input and by connecting that to an Octopre ADAT Output, the user now has an extra 8 channels.

With the first model of Octopre, the ADAT output was an option. You need to determine if the model you picked up has this. The selling point of the Saffire Pro 24, for example, is that it is small with some basic inputs but with the option of an extra 8 channels through ADAT.

Regarding your PCI comments, I have never used a PCI or PCI express based system as I use Firewire on a mobile laptop system. I have a similar setup as the one I am describing.

DAW <--firewire--> Interface <--ADAT--> Octopre equivalent

But I would imagine that a PCI system would have limitations in terms of expandability when a Firewire or more recently a USB interface can give you some powerful options.

Advertisement