Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scared

• 08-06-2014 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Giving up drink tomorrow again for umpteenth time. Never drank till 8 years ago and have drunk almost every day since. Have given up loads of times but can't last more than a week. And now I drink so much. 2 bottles of wine a day.

I really need to do it. I think I am starting to turn yellow. Can't understand how I can be such a weak person when I know this will kill me.

I am scared. Had anyone stopped after this much drinking?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Welcome to the forum Auldgranny

I think your first port of call should be to your GP if you think you're turning yellow, you may have some liver issues that need addressing.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

xzanti wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum Auldgranny

I think your first port of call should be to your GP if you think you're turning yellow, you may have some liver issues that need addressing.

Best of luck

Thank you for answer. Will do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Bill Lee

auldgranny wrote: »
    Had anyone stopped after this much drinking?

Yes, and way more. You can do it. Be safe and start working towards it. It will be the best thing you ever did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

auldgranny wrote: »
    Giving up drink tomorrow again for umpteenth time. Never drank till 8 years ago and have drunk almost every day since. Have given up loads of times but can't last more than a week. And now I drink so much. 2 bottles of wine a day.

I really need to do it. I think I am starting to turn yellow. Can't understand how I can be such a weak person when I know this will kill me.

I am scared. Had anyone stopped after this much drinking?

Hi and welcome auldgranny, I can safely say that a lot of us here were very scared when we realised we had a drinking problem,but you have just taken a huge step in stopping this path to self destruction, A few tips if I may..

Get all the ALcohol out of your house. ALL of it. No, you do NOT need a safety net....that is planning for failure, but you are planning for success. Surround yourself with things you love to eat...I mean LOVE! Do not worry about calories or fat right now, we have bigger fish to fry at the moment!! Keep yourself hydrated! If you like movies...get a load of them to watch. Or books. Whatever you really like to do/eat/play....get it and have it on hand. The first 3 days are the hardest. Your head will be filled with voices telling you to cave in. Don't you do it. Do NOT cave in no matter what and no matter who!!! You are not giving up and old friend...you are getting rid of an enemy who is playing for all the winnings!!

No, one glass of _____ is NOT going to do you any good! (this is us you are talking to....we know all the tricks your mind is trying to play!). Distraction, distraction, distraction! When you have those thoughts, immediately change your thinking to something else....name all your cousins...recite the Lord's Prayer....sind the Happy Birthday song...anything to get your mind out of that LOOP! When a thought comes in to your head, say NO, HELL NO! You will not win this time!!!

Do not get hungry! This is a major trigger! If you made it thru the last 15 minutes, you can get thru the next ones. You do not NEED a drink. The drink needs you....do not feed it! Get on here and read, read, read!!! If all else fails...just go to bed. Yep...get Day 1 behind you.soon all the ALcohol will be out of your system and you will be operating on full power!! It is a wonderful feeling to finally regain yourself. You can do it many here have, keep posting here and good luck :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Go to your doctor, and see if you can get in touch with you local Addiction Counsellor, they might be able to help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement