Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hobbyking , import duty

Options
  • 08-06-2014 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

hi, i am looking at a nitro buggy on hobbyking site for a 160 dollars
    when it comes to ireland will i have to pay import duty on it

thanks for any help thomas

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you can get it from their Uk warehouse there won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thomasthomas19

that more than 100 dollars dearer, out of budget

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

If it's shipped from the far east then yes - you will be eligible for customs duty and VAT. You may end up lucky and not get ''caught''.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thomasthomas19

the buggy is 117 euro , do you know how much i should expect to pay on this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Well the duty is about 3 or 4%, and then VAT is 23% on top of that, plus a likely handling fee of €5 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Depends on which shipping option as well, if you use the fast service ( name escapes me right now), you WILL pay duty and VAT on the import, but it will arrive in under a week as against nearly a month on the China Post system.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I've bought a dozen items that were shipped from Hong Kong and none of them were stopped and charged by customs.

EVERYTHING I've ordered from America has been caught though so keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Kirby wrote: »
    I've bought a dozen items that were shipped from Hong Kong and none of them were stopped and charged by customs.

EVERYTHING I've ordered from America has been caught though so keep that in mind.

I find it the opposite,anything i have ordered from US Japan etc i have gotten away with but i used to get a lot of stuff from China and it was constantly being stopped ,even stuff that was genuinely below the customs tarrif which is something like €22.The customs guy said they deliberately target stuff from Hong Kong/China because they are the worst offenders for false info on the customs declaration form.

Advertisement