Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

colgate duraphat 2800

Options
  • 08-06-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi
    My son suffers with acid reflux and the school dentist prescribed him colgate duraphat 2800 to repair/ prevent acid erosion.
    I went to the pharmacy and got the toothpaste at €24.18 for 75 ml !!

That has to be the world's most expensive toothpaste. The medical card doesn't cover it so I need to source it from somewhere else. I couldn't afford to buy it at that price :(

Would anyone have experience or knowledge where to go and buy it from? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

It is expensive stuff alright. It'd be better to identify the cause of the acid damage and halt it... ie from his stomach or from his diet.....
    iPearly wrote: »
    Hi
    My son suffers with acid reflux and the school dentist prescribed him colgate duraphat 2800 to repair/ prevent acid erosion.

That has to be the world's most expensive toothpaste. The medical card doesn't cover it so I need to source it from somewhere else. I couldn't afford to buy it at that price :(

Would anyone have experience or knowledge where to go and buy it from? Your help is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭iPearly

It is expensive stuff alright. It'd be better to identify the cause of the acid damage and halt it... ie from his stomach or from his diet.....

All done. No obvious cause for his rumination :( therefore need the toothpaste

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

It's not that hard to figure out. I'd go back to the dentist with a full chart of what he eats every day for a typical week. If that is clear, go to the GP and have his stomach etc checked….

There is no point in trying to mask this problem with fancy toothpaste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Hi

OP, duraphat toothpaste is very good for people with hypersensitive teeth, acid erosion etc. Because of its high fluoride content it is a "medicated" toothpaste and available on prescription only. That high price is not the pharmacy ripping you off, that is the price of the toothpaste. I used to keep some in my clinic and had it out to people if they needed it but the last box I ordered from the suppliers cost over €200, so I just can't order it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tooth_doc

davo10 wrote: »
    OP, duraphat toothpaste is very good for people with hypersensitive teeth, acid erosion etc. Because of its high fluoride content it is a "medicated" toothpaste and available on prescription only. That high price is not the pharmacy ripping you off, that is the price of the toothpaste. I used to keep some in my clinic and had it out to people if they needed it but the last box I ordered from the suppliers cost over €200, so I just can't order it anymore.

I am surprised at this, my local pharmacy is ordering it for our patients and the pharmacist seems to think he can provide it for €10 /tube 75ml as of yesterday , he is ordering it from the UK. I will speak to him and get exact details and post here

tooth_doc wrote: »
    I am surprised at this, my local pharmacy is ordering it for our patients and the pharmacist seems to think he can provide it for €10 /tube 75ml as of yesterday , he is ordering it from the UK. I will speak to him and get exact details and post here

And if there are 20 tubes in a box? Also duraphat toothpaste can be bought in a number of different size tubes.

Thank you All for your posts. As advised I rang a pharmacy in the quays Newry.
    I can go there with a prescription and get as much as 6 months supply (75 ml tube) for £5 each! I'm really disgusted

Justify that, who's pocket is it going in?

I can go there with a prescription and get as much as 6 months supply (75 ml tube) for £5 each! I'm really disgusted

The manufacturers, they sell to us and pharmacies at higher unit prices than they do in mainland UK. The UK is a much bigger market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

As stated previously treating the cause of the refulx will avoid more damage to the teeth, while high fluroide toothpaste is good stuff, it does very little if there is a significant acid problem. It will however help a little.

• Advertisement

davo10 wrote: »
    And if there are 20 tubes in a box? Also duraphat toothpaste can be bought in a number of different size tubes.

the tubes come in a dozen, and since a significant portion of my customers are children, duraphat is something i recommend for high caries risk children until their diet and oral health is stabilised. so when some parents told me they are finding it difficult to source it , I talked to the pharmacist next door to me and he couldnt be more helpful.which is why I was surprised at €28. I will post detail here once i have had a chance to speak to the pharmacist

As stated previously treating the cause of the refulx will avoid more damage to the teeth, while high fluroide toothpaste is good stuff, it does very little if there is a significant acid problem. It will however help a little.

I agree to the above , GERD or gastro oesophageal reflux disorder is increasingly being diagnosed in children , at one time it was believed to be predominantly an adult disorder. you will need a chat with your doctor and possibly referral to a sympathetic gastroenterologist

tooth_doc wrote: »
    I agree to the above , GERD or gastro oesophageal reflux disorder is increasingly being diagnosed in children , at one time it was believed to be predominantly an adult disorder. you will need a chat with your doctor and possibly referral to a sympathetic gastroenterologist

Thanks tooth doc. I've already been to Crumlin and after biopsy we got all clear.
    Therefore the toothpaste to protect the teeth while my son grows out of it/ learns to control it.

Is anyone else besides me shocked with the price difference in the north and here?!!?!

Thanks tooth doc. I've already been to Crumlin and after biopsy we got all clear.
    Therefore the toothpaste to protect the teeth while my son grows out of it/ learns to control it.

Is anyone else besides me shocked with the price difference in the north and here?!!?!

Glad to hear GERD has been ruled out and the biopsy has been done

My local pharmacist is charging € 10 , we are not in the north but in the west :)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭SM35

Popped into pharmacist next to my clinic yesterday and enquired about retail cost of 2800ppm duraphat - €21.78 per tube - she herself was apologetic about the higher costs, stating that the toothpaste is now "off-licence" and therefore needs to be imported from U.K., hence higher costs. The 5000ppm duraphat is less than half the cost per tube, but is prescription only.

In Scotland - Duraphat is available free on prescription... but that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

SM35 wrote: »
    Popped into pharmacist next to my clinic yesterday and enquired about retail cost of 2800ppm duraphat - €21.78 per tube - she herself was apologetic about the higher costs, stating that the toothpaste is now "off-licence" and therefore needs to be imported from U.K., hence higher costs. The 5000ppm duraphat is less than half the cost per tube, but is prescription only.

In Scotland - Duraphat is available free on prescription... but that's another story.

i'm thinking the fiver quoted in the OP is an NHS prescription price also??

SM35 wrote: »

I am surprised, my pharmacist and we are in galway is putting a price of € 10 for the duraphat

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭SM35

i'm thinking the fiver quoted in the OP is an NHS prescription price also??

NHS prescription charges abolished in Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland.
    Charge in England is about £8

• Registered Users Posts: 11 autumngirl

could you let me know the name of the pharmacy in newry please as last time I bought duraphat it cost me 24euro for one tube.
    thanks

Advertisement