Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy Mini - Internal Phone memory constantly full

Options
  • 08-06-2014 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

Constantly getting this internal phone memory message yoke about it being full - so I end up deleting apps like Whatssap.........but nothing major on the phone other than facebook and twitter - I empty the cache on the applications frequently (as in daily) but it fills up really quickly again..............any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Not familiar / never used this particular phone, but maybe do the following:

Change settings in camera to save pics / vids to the memory card.

Save SMS / MMS to memory card.

Tedious, but go into the settings options on whatever you have installed, and look for options to save to external / memory card.

Install Move2SD, and see if that can help by relocating apps to the card instead of the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    Not familiar / never used this particular phone, but maybe do the following:

Change settings in camera to save pics / vids to the memory card.

Save SMS / MMS to memory card.

Tedious, but go into the settings options on whatever you have installed, and look for options to save to external / memory card.

Install Move2SD, and see if that can help by relocating apps to the card instead of the phone.

thanks for this- actually deleted all pics the other day, no videos on it, it's a pain in the butt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

is this the one? http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_mini_s5570-3725.php

if it is the only suggestion would be get rid of the phone and get a new phone. The internal memory is Internal 160 MB storage, 384 MB RAM, so it should only really be used as a paperweight. its all that would be good for. ideally you should go with 1gb of ram. though you can get away with 700mb
    you will never get anything to really run on that small amount of ram. sorry to be the bearer

daytob wrote: »
    is this the one? http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_mini_s5570-3725.php

if it is the only suggestion would be get rid of the phone and get a new phone. The internal memory is Internal 160 MB storage, 384 MB RAM, so it should only really be used as a paperweight. its all that would be good for. ideally you should go with 1gb of ram. though you can get away with 700mb
    you will never get anything to really run on that small amount of ram. sorry to be the bearer

that's the one alright - resisting buying a new phone because I won this one and have no clue as to what to look for - all I really want bar phone calls, and texts is one that'll take Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp - I don't use it for photos or anything else really................any suggestions on what to replace it with?

the moto g is a brilliant piece of kit. depends how much you want to spend though. if you do get the moto g its like going from a moped to a ferrarri :D

• Advertisement

the moto g is a brilliant piece of kit. depends how much you want to spend though. if you do get the moto g its like going from a moped to a ferrarri :D

I hate being on the phone, so rarely use it even for calls - so I'm on Vodafone pay as you go................what's handy on this: http://www.vodafone.ie/pay-as-you-go-phones/

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jwof2006

Got an Iphone to replace the galaxy mini last week, and yea its nice being able to run the different aps, but its so heavy and awkward in comparison, try and get something small like the mini.

get a free sim card in tesco.
    put sim card into an unlocked phone.
    order the vodafone smart 4 from vodafone online.
    select switch your number, input the tesco mobile number to get 20 euro off.
    code will be sent to unlocked phone with tesco sim card.
    vodafone smart 4 for 40 euro. its got a lil bit more ram and should be ok for you if thats all you plan on using it for.

the smart 4 will be locked to vodafone afaik but its ok you can just put your own vodafone sim card into it. the tesco sim card is the number you ported over to get 20 euro off. you can throw that sim card away. you just saved 20 euro.
    enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

cjmcork wrote: »
    I hate being on the phone, so rarely use it even for calls - so I'm on Vodafone pay as you go................what's handy on this: http://www.vodafone.ie/pay-as-you-go-phones/

Depends how much you want to spend really?

If it doesn't have to be the best phone in the world and as you say you rarely use it maybe go for the Sony one for 100 quid?

My mate has the little Vodafone one, its alright but for 40 quid extra I would probably get the Sony one (better battery life etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Constantly getting this internal phone memory message yoke about it being full - so I end up deleting apps like Whatssap.........but nothing major on the phone other than facebook and twitter - I empty the cache on the applications frequently (as in daily) but it fills up really quickly again..............any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I have used Link2SD on low internal memory phones, it works a treat.

Link2SD Google Play Link

You have an SD card with capacity?? Your phone will take up to 32GB. You would need at least Class 6 SD.

You will need to create partition on the SD, to act as a replacement for your lacking internal memory, and a rooted phone....both are easy.

Here is what the dev says.
    What you need for linking apps:

- root permission.
    - a second partition on your SD card.

You should have two partitions on SD card and both should be primary.
    The first FAT partition is your standard SD card storage.

The second partition is used for application files and can be ext2, ext3, ext4, f2fs or FAT.

You need to use a non-FAT file system (ext2, ext3, ext4 or f2fs) on your second partition in order to link app's private data files. Because the FAT file system (FAT16, FAT32 or exFAT) does not support UNIX file ownership or permissions and will cause a security breakdown of app's private files.

Link2SD Plus can move app's private data files if you have a non-FAT partition
    Link2SD does not create the second partition, you need to create it yourself.

You can use any partition manager such as Minitool, Paragon, Easeus etc. for this.

If you need assistance, it is available online, or I will help as much as I can, and others too, I'm sure.

Or, maybe you will decide it's not worth it, it is a pretty low powered phone by the standards of what is now available, for pretty low money, particularly from China, or I can absolutely vouch for the Moto G, I got it from Tesco UK, when it came out first....it is absolutely brilliant.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

thanks for the help - really appreciate it

what's the thought on this

Fieldog wrote: »
    Depends how much you want to spend really?

If it doesn't have to be the best phone in the world and as you say you rarely use it maybe go for the Sony one for 100 quid?

My mate has the little Vodafone one, its alright but for 40 quid extra I would probably get the Sony one (better battery life etc)

I'm not going to spend mad money because I've a tendency to drop my phones! I want it make calls, text, facebook, twitter, whatssapp, gmail and that's really about the all of it..............any recommendations?

Dunno about buying on ebay from that seller but its available on amazon with free shipping as its over 25 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moto-4GB-Sim-Free-Smartphone/dp/B00KB0YD8Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402341355&sr=8-1&keywords=moto+e

Id personally prefer to buy from amazon tbh. the cs is brilliant and any issues they will issue the replacement as soon as.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

That motorola you linked to has decent specs. Id be wary about buying on ebay though, thats just me.

if you end up getting the moto g let me know. i have a bumper case here that will take any knocks. i can wing it to you if you send me a sae

what kind of GB should I be looking at - haven't a flipping clue when it comes to that stuff - thanks for all the advice so far, v grateful - daytob, that's a very decent offer - thanks so much

if you dont use it for anything other than calls and the odd pictures then get the 8gb, you probably only have about 5gb free though. this has an impact on your apps though as you cant store any on an sd card as there is none.
    music can be stored with google music play and pin to your phone. get dropbox and the likes of cloud storage so you can store anything important including pictures and then you should be good to go mate.

thanks for the help - really appreciate it

what's the thought on this

Honestly...nah!! only advantage is the SD card slot, but dual core, €155 (incl delivery), smaller screen, less internal memory, small battery, bad/worse camera, etc..

I'd go for the Moto G.....

it's still available on Meteor, €150 free delivery, here:

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/moto-g

and Tesco, here:

http://www.tescomobile.ie/phones/displayPhone.aspx?p=205

It can be SIM [Network] unlocked for about €3 or €4, so much better deal, IMO.

If you only use it as you outlined above, the 8GB model is just fine...

music, Google Play Music for yours,

but for streaming, check out Google Play

free music streaming apps

thanks for this - who would unlock it for me?

you will.
    you can get the unlock code on ebay for around 2 euro links can be provided, you need to input your imei number * you only will get this when you have the phone in your hand. its usually under the battery or you can go to settings, about phone, imei * depends on the make.
    put in a sim card to it and it will say unrecognised sim card or something to that effect. input the unlock code you got from ebay seller and voila your phone is unlocked. and it stays unlocked. bring it to any country and put any sim into it. if thats too much hassle the ones from amazon.co.uk are sim free.

• Advertisement

you will.
    you can get the unlock code on ebay for around 2 euro links can be provided, you need to input your imei number * you only will get this when you have the phone in your hand. its usually under the battery or you can go to settings, about phone, imei * depends on the make.
    put in a sim card to it and it will say unrecognised sim card or something to that effect. input the unlock code you got from ebay seller and voila your phone is unlocked. and it stays unlocked. bring it to any country and put any sim into it. if thats too much hassle the ones from amazon.co.uk are sim free.

As daytob above!!

This guy, Simon Green, I used his service back last year, highly recommend.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Motorola-Moto-G-Mobile-Phone-Unlock-Code-/111223239973
    £1.69
    Approximately EUR 2.09

Just to say finally, there is huge user community support for the Moto g, both on XDA, and less so on MoDaCo.

ROMs, Apps, Accessories, General support, Guides, FAQ's, Rooting, Recoveries, Bootloader Unlock, etc. etc. You are never alone!!!

XDA Moto G Forum

ModaCo Moto G Forum

Advertisement