Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a welder in Limerick

Options
  • 08-06-2014 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Big wreck today, coming back from Killmallock on R413. Doing 50k down a hill between Hospital and Herbertstown, a car passed me. I thought s/he was waiting for a safe moment to pass the cyclist in front of me, when the left hand turn signal flashed and, boom, s/he is turning. I didn't have time to stop. I tried, but my rear wheel locked and came out to my right. I flipped at around 45kph. The car, an older orange-coloured car, kept going. I didn't get a reg. I can't believe the driver didn't see me go over, but--who knows.

I cracked the back of my helmet in three spots. It is a nice Giro that I paid some decent money for. I was alright, but have a really sore hip, scraped-up knee and elbow. On my bike, the boot on my right shifter was torn, my right shifter scratched (all Dura-ace 7900 components, so I'm disgusted) and the back right side of my seat torn (a bontrager Affinity RS--it took me a long time to find that seat). When I tried to continue toward Limerick, my rear derailleur flew into my rear whee. I fell again. I got up and was pleased that the derailleur hanger had snapped as it is designed to do. What I didn't see right away was that the part of the frame where the seat and chainstays come together, where the derailleur hanger mounts, was also cracked.

So now I'm looking for a welder. Someone who knows how to work on aluminium. This is a 2009 Trek 2.1, so the seat stays are carbon. The wheel mount is aluminum, but it's that Alpha black, which I assume it be 7075 or similar. Any one in Limerick area know someone that has the kind of knowledge need to repair the wheel mount. Naturally, the mount has to be straight, or the replacement derailleur, (it was completely destroyed), will hang straight.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Advertisement