Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I self build or not?

Options
  • 08-06-2014 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, planning on building a house on our site. No loan, cash build. With the new regs ect there are 101 diffrent opinions on this issue. So can I get qualified joe to do the blocks and qualified Jim to do my roof ect any more?? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

No

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

4Sticks wrote: »
    No

What 4sticks ment to say (this was already trashed out to death in this very sub-forum) the commencement form looks for director of construction companies signature. And separately your certifying professional would struggle to take on this level of risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

BryanF wrote: »
    What 4sticks ment to say (this was already trashed out to death in this very sub-forum) the commencement form looks for director of construction companies signature. And separately your certifying professional would struggle to take on this level of risk.

Thank you

You could do a Nike , "just do it".

But you would be breaking the law , which you must not do , admittedly with little risk of detection or sanction by the authorities.

You could end up building and owning something un certifiable and therefore un sellable - except of course to some one like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

One of the biggest obstacles you'll also face is getting an Assigned Certifier. A lot of professionals aren't going to act as AC at all. Being a self-build reduces that number even further.

Your first port of call should be to engage a professional who is willing to act as assigned certifier for you. They'll help you out with the rest.

With regards signing it off as the "Principal or Director of a Building Company only", the Minister has said you can sign it yourself for self-build, but legally for your own sake you need to check with a solicitor regarding this to see where you stand. Again, your solicitor and professional should be able to clarify further.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    With regards signing it off as the "Principal or Director of a Building Company only", the Minister has said you can sign it yourself for self-build, but legally for your own sake you need to check with a solicitor regarding this to see where you stand. Again, your solicitor and professional should be able to clarify further.

Or look to the public statements of the Law Society
    The department’s statements need to be read in the context of what is required by the regulations.

Very droll.

source

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Penn wrote: »
    One of the biggest obstacles you'll also face is getting an Assigned Certifier. A lot of professionals aren't going to act as AC at all. Being a self-build reduces that number even further.

Your first port of call should be to engage a professional who is willing to act as assigned certifier for you. They'll help you out with the rest.

True.
    Talking to a potential client this week be told me he could only find 3 persons who met the criteria for the new roles. Of the 3, one said he will only certify works for registered builders and will do no self builds at all.

Which means the new rules have worked against consumer interests from an economic perspective: i.e. Lack of choice and lack of competition.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Subscribers Posts: 41,308 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

galwaytt wrote: »
    True.
    Talking to a potential client this week be told me he could only find 3 persons who met the criteria for the new roles. Of the 3, one said he will only certify works for registered builders and will do no self builds at all.

Which means the new rules have worked against consumer interests from an economic perspective: i.e. Lack of choice and lack of competition.

i think the problem lies with the fact the certifier is now somehow seen as a "guarantor" of the build if issues arise.... and very little regard is being put as to who actually constructs.

i dont think opening the market to more professionals is actually going to open the flood gates to professionals who will certify self-builders projects......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

The new rules have essentially turned the Professional Indemnity insurance of these professionals into a form of Building Defects Insurance for the owners which means any Assigned Certifier who values his livelihood will carefully select the projects he agrees to supervise.

So even if the Minister's statement about self-building is formalised many won't put their insurance on the line with a self-builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Self_Build

Good Luck with Your Build.

I think it is admirable to do everything possible to avoid having to take out a Mortgage. Over 30 years a 300 K Mortgage will incur interest alone of more than 250 K. Despite the Bust I still think that Society continues to be very Blasé about encouraging Young People to sign up to what is to me at best Indentured servitude. Banks, Employers and the Construction Industry benefit but everyone else suffers.

Anyway, I've received planning permission for a 4 bedroom house on my own site. Ideally I'd like to not have a Mortgage but I realise that it’s probably inevitable. I hired an Architect to design the house and apply for planning permission.
    Now that I've received planning permission I'm taking a step back to determine the best building options.

I have savings of approx. 90 K
    It would take approx. 350 K to build using the conventional Architect / Contractor model.

I’d like to Cap borrowing at 150 K. I don’t know if this is possible but I’d like to have a crack at it anyway.

All advice appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

As "self builds" are almost history now, does this mean the savings that a self builder may have made are gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Self_Build

There is certainly going to be extra cost in the shape of the Assigned Certifier.

Self_Build wrote: »
    Good Luck with Your Build.

I think it is admirable to do everything possible to avoid having to take out a Mortgage. Over 30 years a 300 K Mortgage will incur interest alone of more than 250 K. Despite the Bust I still think that Society continues to be very Blasé about encouraging Young People to sign up to what is to me at best Indentured servitude. Banks, Employers and the Construction Industry benefit but everyone else suffers.

Anyway, I've received planning permission for a 4 bedroom house on my own site. Ideally I'd like to not have a Mortgage but I realise that it’s probably inevitable. I hired an Architect to design the house and apply for planning permission.
    Now that I've received planning permission I'm taking a step back to determine the best building options.

I have savings of approx. 90 K
    It would take approx. 350 K to build using the conventional Architect / Contractor model.

I’d like to Cap borrowing at 150 K. I don’t know if this is possible but I’d like to have a crack at it anyway.

All advice appreciated

Where to you make the linke between self-build and no mortgage ?? - there's no connection between self-build and (not) having a mortgage.

Lots - most I'd say - say self-builds do have mortgages in some form or other.

Much as I'd like to tell you otherwise, there is no way a house someone has calculated as costing 350k can be built for 150k. I'd go further: you wouldn't even buy (some) of the materials for that. You seem to think that there's huge margin in building - there isn't. 5% would be a good day for most.

So, €350,000 less 5% = €325,000. Take out the VAT = € 292,951. Take out 30% for labour = €205,000 for materials etc.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

register as a building comany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Not really a reply but does this also apply for log houses brought from Finland? Reason I asked is because I'm interested in buying a Scandinavia log house.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,308 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

there are many threads here about the issues with log homes, do a search.

jonon9 wrote: »
    Not really a reply but does this also apply for log houses brought from Finland? Reason I asked is because I'm interested in buying a Scandinavia log house.

Quite apart from other issues with log homes, yes, the new regs apply to all methods of construction.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement