Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fashion travel advice - 40 year old male!

Options
  • 08-06-2014 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have a bit of a dilemma, I am travelling to New York next week to meet up with some old friends I haven't seen for years, all would be fairly fashion conscious but since the kids came along my standards have probably slipped and I have become a fairly casual dresser! Is it acceptable to travel in shorts (combat) with runners (runner type runners, Asics) for comfort? If not i'm comfortable in long combats for travelling in but what do you wear on your feet?, I like wearing long or short combats with a decent pair of flip flops whilst on holiday but what to travel in? Runners look awful with long combats, I have some cream converse style pumps which don't look any better either! Help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Something like this?20357906_A_p.jpg

From Clarks. My husband wears them. Although tbh buying shoes to go to ny is bringing coals to Newcastle. East Eighth Street...drool...

Shorts should be ok for travel but be aware that depending on where you're going lots of places in ny won't let you past the door in runner runners, shorts or a shirt without a collar.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

40 year old who is worried about fashion and wears combats and flip flops? Hmmm.
    You dont worry about being fashionable at all anyway by the sounds of it.
    So just wear what you want. Its NY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Dredd_J wrote: »
    40 year old who is worried about fashion and wears combats and flip flops? Hmmm.
    You dont worry about being fashionable at all anyway by the sounds of it.
    So just wear what you want. Its NY.

Good job I'm not easily offended! Sure it looks better than it sounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

mattb74 wrote: »
    Good job I'm not easily offended! Sure it looks better than it sounds!

Sounds like me tbh. And I definitely wouldnt be considered fashionable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

If you want to wear shorts, wear shorts. It will most likely be quite warm there anyway and you don't want to be uncomfortable in the heat. My husband is in his 40s and wears shorts and Skechers when in a warm place that involves a bit of walking, otherwise he wears sturdy sandals, the type with velcro straps. Shorts are fine for actually travelling in too. You need to be comfortable when travelling so whatever you find comfortable is best.

Obviously if you're going out to dinner somewhere nice the shorts won't do, but long combats wouldn't do either in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

TBH, I think you should ditch the combat trousers in NY....and in Ireland! - they really were last in fashion late 90s/early 00s. Combat shorts are still OK though.

Nice, current style, slim fitting chinos will look smart, casual and contemporary in any setting. June is going to be hot and humid in New York, so bring a few pairs of shorts and some collared t-shirts also. Vans or Skechers will look good with chinos or else some stylish sandals. I was in Penneys recently and their choice of shorts are fantastic in really current styles and colours and obviously very inexpensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

ongarboy wrote: »
    TBH, I think you should ditch the combat trousers in NY....and in Ireland! - they really were last in fashion late 90s/early 00s. Combat shorts are still OK though.

Nice, current style, slim fitting chinos will look smart, casual and contemporary in any setting. June is going to be hot and humid in New York, so bring a few pairs of shorts and some collared t-shirts also. Vans or Skechers will look good with chinos or else some stylish sandals. I was in Penneys recently and their choice of shorts are fantastic in really current styles and colours and obviously very inexpensive.

Thank you! I actually only wear long combats when on holiday or when travelling, think I find them useful with the extra pockets with two kids! I'm quite tall and slim and have always been a bit self conscious about the slim trousers, basically make my legs look like matchsticks! Appreciate the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The biggest problem with your post, OP, is the word "combats". Combats should never be worn again, ever, by anyone. Not even in a "hey I still feel young" kind of of way.

Nor should the shorts - certainly not for a 40 year old man.

My advice would be to go into the likes of Ted Baker or even M&S and have a look around - M&S have a large range of shorts and I recently got a pair of white linen ones that were long, sort of to the knee - they actually look very smart paired with a light shirt or polo top. Pick up a copy of GQ or Esquire, especially ones with summer fashion spreads, and have a look. It shouldn't be hard to get an up to date, smart, manly, and fashionable summer wardrobe going.

A pair of light blue / pink / white trousers would be great coupled with a polo / shirt / plain t shirt, along with flip flops or better still, espadrilles. Get into Office or Schuh and pick up a pair.

If your NY friends are "fashion conscious" that probably means they are wearing trousers that are too short with 80s inspired tops, they probably have massive beards and wear thick framed (clear-lensed) glasses. I wouldn't worry about what they think of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Hi OP

My boyfriend bought about 4 pairs of these chino shorts in H&M this year (he wears them turned up a tiny bit) - they look really well with a t-shirts or with a shirt with the cuffs rolled up to the elbow - they are < 20e:

http://www.hm.com/gb/product/97537?article=97537-R

They look fab with a pair of summer trainers and you can get great shoe liner socks in Dunnes for 3e a pair that don't show outside the trainer. Nike and new balance have some great trainers at the moment - get a lighter pair so your feet aren't sweating.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

NY was alternatively very hot and humid and thunderstorms and cold a weeks ago. Bring a light jacket.

I'd wait until you get there and buy a couple of lightweight chinos and plain t shirts and linen shirts in gap or banana republic or uniqlo or similar, much better value than buying here. Maybe a polo shirt or two also. Something with no labels etc. make sure they fit well. Maybe a slightly better pair of plain shorts also. Get them to help you pick matching colours etc.

There is generally a pile of walking in NY, prob too much for flip flops, but asics are a bit casual and would mark you out as a tourist in NY. A pair of light slip on shoes would work better. If you get slim chinos then the converse type will look ok with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement