Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Sixsmith thinks Tuam is an ugly place!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Tuam -rose on a dunghill. Well, I say rose..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Its an awful town.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

He is so wrong. Tuam is a lovely town with lovely people. Who can blame those lovely people for imprisoning pregnant girls and murdering their babies? "Shure the priest told me to" is the lamest of excuses. Not even the "Befehl ist befehl" defense held at the Nazi trials...

It is unbelievable how much most of the people in this country let themselves be indoctrinated by the Holy Catholic Church. For all of you out there: you could have and should have said NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

"Yet that is exactly what I came across in January this year in the small Irish town of Tuam in County Galway, an ugly place with its rundown streets and council estates. "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2651484/I-thought-Id-seen-Philomena-And-I-nuns-secret-grave-800-babies-By-Martin-Sixsmith-exposed-Sisters-sold-children-fallen-girls.html

It's one thing to tell a horrific story, but it's something else to run down a whole town whilst telling it.

So Martin, what do you have against council estates? Care to log on to boards and tell us?

Yeah, that's the thing to focus alright. Not the 800 or so dead kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Eye opening article. Glad I read it. Tuam itself is fine, try the ice cream in Pedros.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

jjpep wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the thing to focus alright. Not the 800 or so dead kids...

There's another thread on AH devoted to that issue- feel free to contribute there if you wish:)
    The start of the article is plain bad journalism. As I said in my OP, the story is horrific enough without bringing down the whole town with it. There is no reason to slate the town with the term "ugly" or make reference to "council estates"- none at all. It adds nothing to the current situation, especially where the country as a whole is trying to come to grips with the news and to determine the key facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Well, Martin aint exactly eyecandy himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

fastest town in ireland, tuuuammmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

The nicest bagel I've ever eaten was from a little coffee shop type place in Tuam! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

131spanner wrote: »
    The nicest bagel I've ever eaten was from a little coffee shop type place in Tuam! :D

You've only had one bagel...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

It's not as bad as Gort. But up there with Ballinasloe. Athenry and Loughrea are like Florence and Rome in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

You've only had one bagel...

If only! It starts with one, then you're hooked! :eek::o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

It's not as bad as Gort.

[Klaatu barada nikto joke].

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Some parts are ok, steer clear of Gilmartin Road though, they don't like outsiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Some parts are ok, steer clear of Gilmartin Road though, they don't like outsiders.

Ha ha,

Is that "Sky City" as the locals call it?

My Dad moved to Tuam from Dublin many moons ago, not the worst town in Ireland but far from the best....

The shopping centre is a burgeoning metropolis... :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Well, Martin aint exactly eyecandy himself.

You're no oil painting yourself there Stew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Spent the night in Tuam once in the 90s. It seemed to be a remarkably pleasant town and its colourful denizens and social life were a source of, regrettably temporary, delight .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

It is not as bad as its repuatation but is still a bit of a kip..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭alias no.9

"Yet that is exactly what I came across in January this year in the small Irish town of Tuam in County Galway, an ugly place with its rundown streets and council estates. "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2651484/I-thought-Id-seen-Philomena-And-I-nuns-secret-grave-800-babies-By-Martin-Sixsmith-exposed-Sisters-sold-children-fallen-girls.html

It's one thing to tell a horrific story, but it's something else to run down a whole town whilst telling it.

So Martin, what do you have against council estates? Care to log on to boards and tell us?

You read the article and that's the bit that prompted you to reply? WTF???

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

On a different note. I passed through Tuam and Milltown last Sunday August 10th and in various places there were bails of hay burning on the side of the road. Anyone know the reason?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Effigies of Martin Sixsmith?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It's a Pagan ritual to keep the Saw Doctors alive for another 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Used to do it down that way for weddings I think. So the guests could make their way home as they rarely leave their own parish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

He's right though.

Tuam, along with countless other Irish towns are horrible depressing places.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Holsten wrote: »
    He's right though.

Tuam, along with countless other Irish towns are horrible depressing places.

Mullinagar, Athlone, Cavan, Tullamore, etc.... they're nearly all the same. Dull dreary Irish towns. there's some nice pretty ones, but the difference is just cosmetic for the most part.

Advertisement