Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

registering a bike without a logbook... need help!

Options
  • 07-06-2014 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi folks! So I bought a 1976 Suzuki GT 250 a few months ago and I have restored it. Now comes the hard part! It didn't have a logbook with it so I am wondering where to start to get it registered... I have looked everywhere and am finding it difficult to get a straight answer! I contacted the suzuki owners club and they confirmed on a dating certificate that it is 1976 so now I'm wondering where to go from there! Any help is appreciated hugely!

Ciarán

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Dating cert should be enough? From that they can mark it down as 1/1/76.

Being a motorcycle over 30 years old it's zero VRT isn't it?

Maybe stop looking and start ringing. (NCTS/Revenue.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ciarcro

macplaxton wrote: »
    Dating cert should be enough? From that they can mark it down as 1/1/76.

Being a motorcycle over 30 years old it's zero VRT isn't it?

Maybe stop looking and start ringing. (NCTS/Revenue.)

Yeah I think so. I rang them before and the guy on the phone didn't really know himself! He didn't make anything much clearer! Yeah that's good at least that it will be zero vrt.

Is there any form to fill in?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Usual registration forms RF something or other. See NCTS FAQs: https://ncts.ie/vq3.html

Maybe even write to the Revenue at Rosslare and get some info further up the foodchain.

Office of the Revenue Commissioners
    East & South East Region
    Central Vehicle Office
    Rosslare Harbour
    Co. Wexford

Tel: 053 9161200
    Fax: 053 9133790
    Email: cvoffice@revenue.ie

I'd be inclined to ask the Revenue to give you in writing what you need to do so you can wave it in front of the NCTS clerks face.

If you go to the NCTS first, you might be in for a bit of ping-pong in not getting everything done in the one visit and being sent away because of this, that and the next thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Alfonzito

Do you have previous owners details? Or details of the last owner who actually taxed the bike or had the log book transferred. This is probably a worthwhile track if you want to retain the original registration number. I bought a bike some months ago without a logbook and was able to track back to the last registered owner in order to get the paperwork in order. If you know where the bike was taxed, which local authority area, this also helps as pre 86 registration details were updated manually by local authority rather than the centralised in Shannon. There was a cost of €12 to get the new logbook once I had all of the ducks in a row and I was able to get the tax book on the same day.

I recall there being a form of affidavit that requires to be witnessed by peace commissioners where registration documents have been lost and you don't have these details. I think that I got this in the local authority tax office when I made initial enquiries. I was surprised as well when I called to a local Garda Station and they had no record of the registration number. Funnily enough I later found out that my particular bike had belonged to the Gardaí at the beginning of its life.

I think that there is usually one or two older people in local authority motor tax offices that understand the pre 86 system and can be really helpful when you find them. Lots of the administrators won't even have been born in 1986 and won't even be aware of the old system.

alf

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JoaoHD

Hi Ciaran,

I am just wondering how you got sorted in the end ?

I have the same issue, 1975 Bike but no Logbook, i believe it was never registered in Ireland.

Starting to restore but wanted to make sure that i could register before i put too much time and money on it

Joao

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

the original post is from 2014 so any info won't necessarily be correct now post-Brexit.

May be different for bikes, but they wont re-register an imported car without a V5C (or equivalent for other than UK). Also they won't re-register a non-runner.

Advertisement